Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Green Smoothie disasters

Hi all,

I am having a nightmare with getting my green smoothies right. I had been having Kale, Banana and orange/lemon juice. A nutritionist friend of mine and fellow raw foodie said I should rotate my greens daily. Since she told me this, I've tried all sorts. Spinach works great but today I used cabbage and chard and it is disguting!

Any advice on how I can make cabbage work?

Gemma

Comments

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I'm not great at rotating my greens either and always tend to use spinach as it's mild in flavor.

I would say to maybe use other greens such as romaine rather than cabbage - which I imagine tastes pretty strong in smoothies.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I tend to use romaine lettuce because it barely tastes like anything (the leaf part, not the hard centre part). Spinach is not bad either, but it turns my smoothies really dark green, and I prefer seeing all the beautiful color. It's a psychological thing! Romaine doesn't change the color of the smoothie. I've tried kale and collards before, but I really didn't like the taste, it was so strong and bitter.

• It's probably the cabbage! And also, you might need to add some berries - those tend to cover up the taste better. That and pineapple, papaya, etc.

Some good greens that I use are: spinach, kale, swiss chard, romaine, parsley, coriander, collards, etc.

Make sure you blend really well too! :)

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

the only green i like in my smoothies is spinach. i've tried romaine, kale, and swiss chard and the flavors are just too strong. i don't really see a problem in using just one type of green in your smoothies. you can eat those other greens in your salads if you really feel that you need them.

• In addition to kale and spinach I really enjoy beet greens. yum!

• I love the intense flavor of parsley or celery. I also use bok choy (but only a bit as it is quite strong).

• I've not been able to get green or purple cabbage to taste great in a smoothie, and I've REALLY tried. I do find that nappa cabbage isn't as cabbage-y....and blends well. My advice? Chug it down, and then chew some gum to forget the cabbage-ness of it all, and eventually - like what happened to me- you'll start to enjoy the cabbagey taste:)

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I'm not so sure cabbage will work either. I also don't like chard in smoothies, though it's fine in other recipes. But in general, a green smoothie can usually be saved by some sweetener (agave or dates or honey) and ice. Sometimes some lemon helps too.

• I like spinach and all the kale varieties, even though the latter are a bit strong in taste. I have found that adding something sour (lemon juice works great, or lately fresh organic cranberries) really mellows out the "green" taste, although I have to admit that I have never tried it on cabbage.

• NyahzNyahz Raw Newbie

Spinach or Romaine for me! My disasters have included watercress/arugula/mustard greens-thought it was kale @ the grocery =( BLERGH!!!

• I got quite an upset stomach once from juicing cabbage- and would be very reluctant to use it in a smoothie as well. Possibly the same for chard. I would just use it in a coleslaw and skip trying to put it in a smoothie.