Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What would actually happen if everyone went vegan?

kuritekurite Raw Newbie

Ive thought about this for very long. As cool as it would be for everyone to go vegan what would happen? All the cows and chickens would have to die right? Theyre all so inbread that they couldn't possibly survive in their natural environment.

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

there's no way everyone would go vegan overnight. so gradually as people would start eating less animal products, fewer would be bred. more sanctuaries might spring up, but chances are the die-hards would be eating those last animals and killing them.

if people wanted to keep "hobby farms" so people would see what the breeds looked like, much like a zoo, they would. there's not a requirement that the breed die out. as far as the wild, most breeds would struggle because they have been genetically engineered to get too fat too fast and so forth. but you never know.

i think it's a silly argument that meat-eaters make claiming that they are saving animals by eating them. not so at all!

• The thought of everyone becoming vegan just made me SMILE.

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

Asgood as it sounds I think we need 3 to 6 times more earths. It's not possible, the produce produced today (even with very advanced technology) is not enough to feed the earth, Let alone via biological farming. To save the earth and become environment and animal friendly we need to be vegetarian (living on cooked beans and grains) but then we die of evil diseases (cancer,diabetics, heart problems etc.).

Either way we die 8).

• This is an interesting question, I've thought about it a few times but can never really settle on an idea. Would large areas return to wilderness when there's no market for farmed animals or their feed, or would land prices fall so low that people would snap it all up for their own use or pleasure? Would organic farming as it exists today still be possible without animal manure or blood meal? Would pharmaceutical companies go bust because no-one would want animal-tested products or pills containing lactose? Would doctors go mad with boredom having only injuries to treat? :)

• jakkrabbitjakkrabbit Raw Newbie

It is absolutely possible to feed the earth. The amount of land being used right now for cattle, poultry, and hog farming (and other meat sources) is staggering. 30% PERCENT OF THE WORLD'S LAND SURFACE is being used right now for lthe livestock industry. That is over one-quarter of the globe. Livestock accounts for 70% of all agricultural land use. The amount of land being used to grow the corn to feed the cattle, chickens, and hogs is staggering. 760 million tons of grain is consumed every year by farm animals wordwide. That is estimated to be between ONE THIRD and ONE HALF of the world's edicle harvest per year. It's enough grain to cover the world's food shortage 14 times over. Almost one third of the world's fertile land is currently being used to grow feed grains alone. Reclamation of these lands alone would have a impact beyond your wildest dreams.

Consider these excerpts from various articles:

"According to the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (FAO),

Regarding organic farming... if the world went vegan, we'd switch to veganic agriculture (also known as stock-free organic). Take a look:

http://www.veganorganic.net/

And, just some more interesting info, from an EarthSave International poster:

(They're free to print off, so you can hand them out, leave them places, tack them to boards, etc!

http://www.earthsave.org/support/index.html

They've got a bunch of other posters and info sheets as well)

A ONE POUND HAMBURGER EQUALS:

12 POUNDS OF GRAIN

It takes 12 lbs of grain to produce 1 lb of hamburger. This could make 8 loaves of bread, or 24 plates of spaghetti. Grain consumption by livestock is increasing twice as fast as grain consumption by people. Cattle consume 70% of all US grain.

55 SQ. FEET of RAINFOREST

While not all hamburgers come from the rainforest, for every lb of beef, approximately 660 lbs of precious living matter is destroyed including 20-30 different plant species, over 100 insects species, and dozens of birds, mammals, and reptiles.

2500 GALLONS OF WATER

It takes 2500 gallons of water to produce 1 lb of hamburder. This could be used to grow more than 50 lbs of fruits and vegetables. HALF of all water consumed in the U.S. is used to grow feed and provide drinking water for cattle and other livestock.

That's true, but grains/beans have a very high calorie/m2 of land with normal raw-vegan food it's very low. So you need enormous amount of land just for the same amount of calorie's (grain and beans doesn't fit raw-vegan life style).

(durian rider eat up to 200 kilo's of food a week, On my raw-vegan-diet I use to do up to 20+ kilo's/week now I use around 4 kilo's of raw meat a week and maybe 1 kilo of fruit)

I think it's even. the food (or calories) we now give to animals to eat the animals or eat the food directly. That's why I think to save the earth we must all be vegetarian and eat cooked food, If we feed the animals grass and greens there is not enough land, cattle should eat greens. If there is not enough land for cattle to eat then there is barley enough land for humans to eat from.

--------

"According to the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (FAO),

• M42M42

I think there are just way too many people. Even if a convenient way is found for everyone to be a raw vegan, we're still having a much too large impact on the world. What would we really miss if there'd be only 1/20 of the current number of people? (except the people who'd be gone, but let's assume we're not killing them, just not getting many new people). The majority of professions are scalable - if there are 90% fewer people, we need 90% fewer farmers, mechanics, soldiers, politicians, etc. Only things like science and art would suffer somewhat but there's relatively few people in those area's; the percenage could increase.

Something different (assuming we stay with the same number of people). If everyone went raw vegan, I think we'd have need for a much smaller healthcare system. People would be more energetic and have greater mental clarity too. Imagina what we could accomplish as a species with all that extra power :-)

• IsisDCIsisDC Raw Newbie

Greens would be a right not just a privilege...can you imagine getting a raw meal in a drive through window...?

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

IsisDC, that put a smile on my face! Drive-thru's are a busy mom's best friend, so it really sucks that there aren't any that are useful to me.

• marcellmarcell Raw Newbie

What would actually happen if everyone went vegan? Cows and Pigs would rule the world again!

• threnodythrenody Raw Newbie

The thread imagines if everyone went vegan, not neccessarily raw vegan. However, yes, actually, the land is so much more productive for grains than for animals, and for fruits/vegetables than for grains, that it is more than possible. I think it would be quite fine for the cows, chickens, goats, etc that were held in captivity to die of old age, which would allow the rainforest to grow back instead of being cut down for cows.

A, yes sorry I got the different diets mixed up. I meant raw-vegan or RAF is nearly impossible and cooked vegan is the way to save the earth. (vegetarians use milk and eggs only no meat sorry 8) ).

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

It's a really interesting topic and I'm impressed by all the info above. I especially like Deadly Steve's thoughts.

There would be such a huge shift in people's jobs, daily lives, etc. it's quite difficult to fully comprehend just how different things would be.

ClaireT
  • I love raw and vegan foods, but am not a vegetarian. I was also wondering what whould happen if everyone ate a vegan diet, I came across this website recently and it answers part of that question: http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/vegetarian.html

• Locutus359Locutus359 Raw Newbie
    The big problem with everyone turning vegan, obviously it wouldn’t happen overnight, the problem is you will still need to feed all the animals so you will not gain anything, unless you kill all the animals, but you can’t do that.
  • Locutus359Locutus359 Raw Newbie
    Also, tell me if wrong, vegans don’t eat food that has anything to do with an animal, aren’t vegetables pollinated by bees, some of which could be honey farm bees. What do they eat.
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Refrigeration costs would probably go down.