losing hair?

I was at my desk today running my hands over my head when I saw about 5-6 hair fall out onto my paper.

This has never happened, is it because I am raw? Im only 26! Help!

Comments

• Hi Jdk, I know people lose a lot of hairs naturally but a couple of foods are supposed to help good hair and nails. Cucumber for the silica, and brazil nuts for the selenium.

If you notice that your nails are changing then you might have a deficiency. White marks on the nails can mean a zinc deficiency.

I have read that black sesame seeds can make a person with gray hair have their hair start growing back in in color.

Moving is one of the most stressful events in a persons life so it is probably related to that.

I hope the best for you..=)

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Two things come to mind about losing hair and raw food. In Paul Nison’s book, there is mention of people losing their hair because it is switching from “acidic” to “alkaline”. I’m not really sure what this means… I’d have to check the book. In this case, the hair does grow back. The second thing that comes to mind is, taking 1-2 Tbs of flaxseed per day. (Although, my stomach has ‘complained’ about this after 2 weeks; and, I stopped.) Nevertheless it works well… this has something to do with the pores being clogged. Again, I don’t know the science. But, I do not know if flaxseed is just as effective as flaxseed oil. I’ve only tried the oil.

On the other hand… if you had stress ~2 months ago, that could also be the cause of hairloss. Also… what is in the water at your new place?

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Stress is one of the top causes of hair loss. It can take a while for hair loss to show up from a stress related event too so you might not realize the co-relation.

Do you have a family history of male pattern baldness though? My brothers hair started getting really thin around the beginning of his 20s (my dad has pretty much no hair whatever so ever) – he is still has hair left but it is thin on top. He is not raw.

Check out this thread that was going on about a month ago too – lots of tips in it:

http://www.goneraw.com/forums/3/topics/719

I would start taking MSM. It is great for hair (lots of other things too). Try to get at a higher dosage – the higher dosage the faster your results.

Also, don’t forget that summer is the the time when people tend to shed more hair. You hair sheds in cycles. One day you might be alarmed that more hairs fall out and than the next week it will stop and almost nothing falls out. It is considered “normal” to lose around 100 hairs a day.

This has been happening to me lately too. I have more hairs shedding than I would like right now. Than some days I don’t have as many.

Try doing some scalp massages. Lots of doctors don’t think they work but I know they do.My hair always grows better and thicker if I do scalp massages (note: you may shed a bit more when you start it off). Your scalp is one of the last places to get nutrition. Get that blood flowing to the scalp.

Also, consider the condition of your hair – it is super dry and brittle – that can cause weak hair and cause it to break off.

Anyhow, read the thread I posted. Lots of great tips. I put more tips in there too.

As I was reading your comments, queenfluff, I remembered… that while I was at the Voice in the Wilderness Mission getting a cleanse… my hair grew almost an inch while I was there for 12 days! My hair seemed to have stopped growing before that… and stopped growing after that… (it’s about halfway down my back). The cleanse was intense and I’m pretty certain it wasn’t the herbs, supplements, etc that I had to take… but it was the hot-cold sauna! Or maybe it was the outdoor, fresh, mountain, negative-ion air! * hehe * I don’t really know… but, would hot-cold showers help hair growth? I’m curious to know if you know anything about that or heard of anything like that.

Well, it is true that most peoples hair grows faster in the summer months. I have heard it said that this due to the heat but it I think it also could be due to the fact that people are more active in the summer because they get out and enjoy the nice weather more.

It doesn’t seem to be true for my hair lately but I don’t spend a ton of time outside lately.

Another reason could be that the heat gets your circulation going – thereby, getting more blood flow to your scalp. Just a guess.

What sort of supplements and herbs were you taking? there are certain supplements and herbs that could help your hair grow faster. Exercise too definately helps.

I wasn’t working out at that time… and I work out more now than back in April when this happened. But, it’s good to know working out makes my hair grow longer.

Supplements? I took things like OPC3, a probiotic, Noni juice, red super food, green super food, an isotonic multi-vitamin, coral calcium, garlic, B-50, hemaplex, something for the lymphatics… and other supplements that you can only get from the mission, mainly for women and other supplements for stress. Do any of these sound like they would help hair growth?

Hmm, not really familiar with all of those. But the ones I am familiar with – nothing really sticks out as a super hair grower. If the green super food was high in protein (like spirilina) that could have helped. The garlic might be good in helping your circulation so along with the heat that gets the blood flowing in your scalp. If the B-50 were B vitamins – that could have helped. Anything that helps with stress too.

Yes, basically, working out just gets your blood moving so it increases your circulation to the scalp.

The super foods are maingly “food” like cranberries, strawberries, raspberries, mangos, peaches, pears, blueberries, apple, broccoli, etc. I checked… and YUP, it has 1000mg of spiulina. I forgot, I also took these supplements when I returned from the mission. But, I have stopped a few weeks after because I just wanted to be RAW. I’m going to try the gren super food, garlic, and B vitamins though… I’m curious now! Plus, I wanted to get back on some supplement… needed it for stress.

• I lost a lot of hair when I was 100% raw last year, which led me to quit the raw diet until I learned more about nutrition (and my hair grew back). Well, after a year it grew back a little, but I missed being raw so I am easing back into it. I have a nutritionist now (vegetarian/vegan supporter) and I am making sure to get extra protein and to get enough calories in order to avoid hair loss, as both were major issues when I ate raw last year. I wish you luck with your hair. You might want to get a blood test to see if you are low in any nutritional levels. It won’t hurt for you to have that information.

• i think your hair will grow back beautifully may be your body is trying to get rid of your cooked hair,if you know what i mean,i would say `hang in there bro`