Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Health While Raw

Hi Everyone,

I know you've probably heard this a million times before... vitamin B12, omega 3 'long chain' fatty acids, types of vitamin D that you can't get from the sun; are they essential and where do you get them?

Thank you :)

PS: Would also like to hear about changes in health whether positive or negative when you first started, and after a period of time :) Thanks

Comments

• The B-12 question is a very important one. Here's an excellent link about B-12: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/everyvegan/#is

(It's off of a vegan site, so don't think it's propaganda from the meat or dairy industry) The basics: If you do not eat meat or dairy, you need to eat foods fortified with B-12 (which are processed) or a supplement. Don't rely on claims that your body makes it (it does, or rather bacteria in your body does- but farther along in your colon past where you can usually absorb it). There are just not reliable sources of B-12 in plants. Supplement. Seriously.

The vitamin D- unless you are sure of getting enough sun daily, supplement. I know egg yokes have vitamin D- but if your vegan, you won't be eating those.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I'm with sisterbecky. Also, flax, chia, hemp, and walnuts all have omega 3 fatty acids. I think you can get all the vitamin d you need from the sun, if you get enough sun. If you live in a temperate climate, you probably don't get enough sun.

• nsns

I was low on vitamin D and near the lower end of the reference level for b12. I saw a definite overall improvement after supplementing with both. I bought both from iHerb.com. For vitamin D, you need D3 - preferably in liquid form or sublingual.

For EFA's you can use Udo's 3-6-9 oil but that is a bit expensive. I randomly put different kinds of oils - hemp, sunflower, flax seed, sesame, etc. in salad dressings. I also often add flaxseed powder in the smoothies.

• Thanks everyone for your comments :)

@ DeborahB: Just to clarify, you've found that eating small ammounts of nuts and seeds is ideal for you?

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

For my first 9 months raw I was detoxing quite often. After that it was sunshiny days! And I never looked back.

With regards to omega fat intake... I used to worry about this and eat many seeds so that I felt I was getting the balance right.

However, since switching to 80/10/10 I've been recording everything I eat on www.nutritiondata.com and my omega fats are perfectly in balance and of an adequate amount. Eating large amounts of nuts and seeds upsets this balance. Which furthers my belief that we are not supposed to eat so many fatty foods...

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

I've been following 80/10/10 for just over a month. It works perfectly with my body.

I no longer eat nuts and seeds as I used to. I may eat three or four nuts once a week. However, I have found that I do not need to eat nuts and seeds in order to get the correct amount and ratio of omega fats. There is more than enough of these fats found in fruits and vegetables in the correct ratio.

It has been difficult to reach this way of eating though! During my transition I ate many nut and seed based meals and they certainly helped me stay raw long enough for my body to naturally stop desiring high fat foods.