Kombucha

I’ve never had Kombucha. While shopping the other day I saw some and decided to buy it. It’s from the brand Synergy.

I thought I would try it on my drive to work. So this morning I grab the bottle, shake it up and open it only to have it explode as if it were a soda and get all over my dress shirt. After changing I decided to head back to the bottle of tea. So I opened it and gave it a sniff and almost gagged.

In my experience, when something smells like that it’s rotten and not to be ingested. Are some of you really drinking this stuff? If so, do you notice any real benefit from it? I am horrified to taste it. I took one sniff, said ‘hell no’ put it back in the fridge and went to work.

From your own personal experience, have you really noticed a difference in how you feel as a result of drinking that stuff?

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I’ve never had the bottled, pasteurized kind. I make my own and it tastes good, smells good. The benefits are the B vitamins, interferon, glutathion and it’s diuretic properties among a long list of vitamins. It is full of living probiotics, too. I make it off-and-on lately. It takes 7 days to ferment. I used to drink it daily in my green smoothies. I see the bottled kombucha as a processed food, not anywhere near as healthy as the home-brew.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I’ve had kombucha many times and actually really enjoy the taste. I started drinking it after my nutritionist suggested I drink it. I’m not sure I can say I notice a difference in my overall health, but I just love the drink and oftentimes crave it now. But, to be sure, shaking it up will cause a real disaster, as you’ve likely noticed.

• It smells like that because of the bacterial cultures. Its light and refreshing, but I’ll admit that I usually fish out the culture strains so I don’t ingest them, lol. It tastes MUCH better than it smells, and the fizziness and light flavors from whatever juices are added reminds me of soda!

The Synergy brand kombucha is not pasteurized, and sold in its raw state, according to the label.

Its a bit pricey, but I’d like to get into the habit of drinking a bottle every other day or so, the bacteria is great for your intestinal flora.

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

My favorite Synergy kombucha drink is the green one. It aaaalmost reminds me of beer. ;o)

• Thanks for this info. I will try it tonight. I am still scared but I’ll go into it hoping it tastes better than it smells. Wish me luck. Thanks.

• I love Kombucha and do get the Synergy brand. We are very new to raw – went total 100% 3 weeks ago. It was quite a transistion. I would like to make my own Kombucha and will have to fish around for recipes. Be careful transporting the purchased ones. Even tho they are sealed, they can still fizz out in the car. They are refreshing when you get used to them.