Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

brussel sprouts

Is it possible to eat raw brussle sprouts, or do you need to cook it? How do they taste raw. Im guessing the brussel sprout has a similar taste as a cabbage. Ha sanyone tried them raw before?

Comments

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I used to love cooked raw brussel sprouts. So, when I went raw, I tried them raw.I shredded them in my food processor and dressed them with an asian styled dressing.They were edible, but pretty strongly flavored. They were ok. I love all of the cabbages, but the raw brussels aren't for me. You should try them and see what you think.

• some raw vegetables are better cooked, but to be completely raw, cooking your vegetables would be a bad thing? I mean its still a vegetable, if its more digested when cooked why not eat it? its not like eating a baked cake, vegetables still are healthy cooked right? I eat just fruit raw I tried cooked peas but now dont eat them anymore. Im doing the grape fast now. Just wondering if anyone cook their veggies? I dont really like veggies raw so i eat only fruit. If id have to eat vegetables i would eat it cooked. I used to eat romaine and raw cauliflower but i dont seem to digest them right

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I prefer not to eat anything cooked. There are so many other vegetables that I love that I can live without brussel sprouts.

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

I am the opposite I hated Brussel sprouts cooked but LOVE them raw! Sometimes eat them with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper

• I agree with Blue eyes! I do not like cooked brussel sprouts but I found this raw recipe that uses hazelnuts with shredded brussel sprouts and it is heavenly! Here's the recipe from Raw Epicurian (I made it without the tomatoes and all my coworkers kept asking me what it was and if they could have the recipe!)

10 brussels sprouts, thinly shredded

8 Campari tomatoes, thinly sliced

1 fresh squeezed lemon, half the juice for shredded sprouts; half for pesto

1 cup hazelnuts

1 1/2 cup fresh parsley or basil, or a mix of both, firmly packed

1 cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil

1 large clove garlic

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper

Prepare the brussels sprouts: remove any yellow or damaged outer leaves and rinse. Use the stem end to hold each brussels sprout by hand and shred using a mandoline, or thinly slice each sprout with a knife, or use a food processor to shred. Place shredded sprouts in a bowl and toss with half of the fresh squeezed lemon juice and season with sea salt to taste; set aside.

Make the hazelnut pesto: Place all ingredients in food processor or blender; blend until the pesto mixture is thick and creamy.

Prepare Campari tomatoes: thinly slice

Garnish: chopped tomatoes and chiffonade fresh basil.

Assemble and Plate: Add the hazelnut pest to the bowl of shredded brussels sprouts; coat and mix well.

Take a ring mold and line in inside wall all the way around with slices of tomatoes, then place the ring mold on server plate. Carefully fill in the center of the ring mold with the shredded brussels sprouts and hazelnut pesto mixture just to the top of the mold. Cover the top with slices of tomatoes. Repeat steps for each ring mold. When ready to serve carefully lift the ring mold. Garnish the plate with chopped tomatoes, chiffonade basil, and a light sprinkle of sea salt and pepper.

Serves 4

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

A good way to "cook" vegetables and still eat them raw is to "marinate".

I don't have a recipe for marinated brussel sprouts, but lemon & olive oil are always good for marinating.