Need a juice feast, please help!

Hi all,

Some of you may remember that I have MS, most likely caused by my leaky gut and Vit D deficiency for many years. For the last 2.5 years, I have managed quite well by removing all foods that cause a reaction from my diet. Every single time I have had MS symptoms (numbness, tingling, brain fog, vision changes, etc) I have been able to trace it back to a food. The main problem is that nothing I've been doing has been helpful in actually *healing* my gut, so I keep developing new allergies. I'm now allergic to carrots and asparagus, for example. I've been rotating my foods for several months now, and even that is not keeping things in check. An extended fast seems to be the way to go at this point, to really rest my digestive system and help it rebuild. I eventually want to go 30 days, but I'm not setting out to do that right away. If I feel I need to stop sooner, I will, and work my way up. I've done Master Cleanses in the past, my longest was 20 days, and I love it but it's a temporary fix. The lemon juice and cayenne have to be irritating to an already compromised intestinal lining.

Here's where I need your help! I work 7 days a week and have sole custody of my 2 young boys, so I ***need*** calories because I never get a break! I averaged about 800 calories/day on the Master Cleanse and that was usually sufficient but occasionally needed to have an extra drink or two to keep me going. I've been plugging different juice combinations into fitday.com to get an approximate idea of what kind of calories I can get. So far, beets seem like a good way to go. And I'm going to try a cabbage/celery/red pepper combo that should get me close. But I need at least 4 different juice combos to rotate so I don't become allergic to anything else. I need ideas! What are some of your favorite juice combos I can try? Thanks so much!!!

Comments

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

cayenne irritates the intestinal lining so that it secretes stomach acid for digestion, counter productive to your needs.

licorice root helps heal the intestines and is a great herb.

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

As I've mentioned before, I can't have licorice root. It's a legume.

Looking for juice combo ideas please! Thanks

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I'm not a doctor, but I'd think the more greens the better for any type of healing. As for calories, sweet potatoes are a good high-calorie food to juice. I'd definitely aim for more than 800 calories if it's more for than a day or so, especially if you're taking care of young kids.

Naturally, fruit is high in calories, but I'd imagine you need to be careful with fruit juice for its acid and sugar content. When I've done juice fasts in the past (from 2-30 days), I would *always* juice something green along with fruit. And for hunger, I found that having a non-sweet juice would actually keep me from getting hungry for a long time, while sweet juice would make me hungry pretty quickly. I've done a master cleanse too, and really I think that the cayenne keeps you from getting hungry better than just fruit juice. Also, cayenne is generally very healing for your stomach lining.

I'd think that beets would be great, but don't have too much beet juice at once, or you will throw up. Also keep in mind that beet juice will come out pink the other end. Cucumbers also strike me as soothing to the stomach. If you can find fresh aloe, that would be ideal. It sounds like your diet is restricted; I'm sure you can find something that would work for you.

Ahhhh, sweet potatoes! Never would've thought of that. :) Thank you!

Yeah, I'm going to try and avoid fruits as much as possible and stick with veggies and greens, but I may need to do some just to get more calories in me. I loooooove spinach but there's just no calories there. lol

The Master Cleanse is awesome, but it's just not helping my gut. And, as a result of having the same drink all day every day, I'm now allergic to agave! (I was using that instead of maple syrup). For all I know, I'm allergic to lemons and/or cayenne now too. ugh

eta: I definitely want to do cucumbers too, but not sure what to combine them with. I know it's good with celery, but I'll be using that on a different day with the cabbage and red pepper. Any ideas?

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

Cucumbers go well with almost anything. If you do some fruit, granny smith apples aren't too sweet, and they also taste good with most things.

I would think that red pepper would be tough on the digestion; I know it always makes me burp. But maybe it's good for stomach lining?

Again, if you do some fruit, melon is mild, and if you juice the rind along with the fruit it's usually not too sweet (depending on the melon, of course). Plus it's really juicy. Cucumbers are closely related to melons, so that might actually be an OK combo. Also related are squash; you may not be able to get winter squash, but even zucchini makes juice sort of creamy. However, winter squash obviously has more calories if you can find it.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Ahh yeah i remember you saying that before but cant remember why you cant have legumes?

Leaky gut and IBS result from a lack of intestinal flora, so repopulating with fermented foods such as water kefir and cultured veggies is a good idea. Aswell as feeding with prebiotic fibres such as rice bran, seaweeds, FOS, inulin etc.

Yucca root can be taken as well to cut down on stomach fermentation, to reduce intestinal inflammation, and to help build up the flora.

Yeah, the legumes thing is specific to MS - it's called "molecular mimicry". The lectins in them are very similar to the protein of the myelin, which is what is being attacked by the white blood cells (the myelin sheath covers the nerves in the brain, allowing smooth conduction). So, if you set off an immune reaction to those proteins in the food, the WBC's will also attack anything similar, including the myelin. I automatically cut them out of my diet when I started this 2.5 years ago based on that alone, but it turned out that most beans/peas/legumes showed up as reactive on the ELISA I had done this spring anyways. So I still have the circulating antibodies to them. :( I really wish I could have licorice, it's a great anti-inflammatory too.

I've been hammering my system with probiotics (kefir, kombucha, yogurt), digestive enzymes, aloe vera, slippery elm, blah blah blah for over a year and it still hasn't been enough. Haven't heard about yucca though, I'm gonna look into it. And I could definitely use more cultured veggies. I try, but I don't think I get anywhere near enough.

Juice fasting works well for me because it re-sets everything and gets me back in a good place. Then, as I re-introduce foods I can better pinpoint what's causing a reaction. But it would sure be nice to get this gut healed so I don't have to keep playing detective forever. ;)

Bucha Belly