Help! Is this detox?

When I first went raw I felt great. The past two weeks though, my energy has been really low. Sometimes I struggle to keep my eyes open when I’m driving and at work. When I lay down for a nap I nap for 3 hours sometimes! When I wake up I’m still tired and it’s difficult to get going. I’m nauseous almost the entire day and I have to struggle to get any greens in since most of the time even the thought of a salad makes me gag. Last week I found myself only wanting bread, so I ate pizza(non-raw) almost everyday of the week.I’m also getting weird stomach sensations. I have an 18 month old son so when I got these symptoms, right way I thought I was pregnant again. My husband and I even started picking out names. Then my period came. So is this detox? Has anyone ever had these symptoms before after going raw?

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

You might be having an allergic reaction to the gluten in wheat. You could be eating an unbalanced diet without sufficient nutrients. You could be going through detox. You could be having a reaction to cooked food. How could anyone here properly diagnose your condition? It would only be speculation. There are too many possibilities. I hope you feel better soon.

• Thanks 123,

I guess I just wanted to know if anyone else is or has experienced the same things I’m experiencing. I don’t have health insurance or money to shell out at the doctor’s. I would hate to go and nothing is wrong. I’m just wondering if I should be worried or just let it ride.Maybe a little bit more info might help. This is what I eat on an average day:

3-4 bananas a large salad with nuts, olives, olive oil, a pple cider vinegar 2 raw cookies(dates, walnuts, coconut) lots of water(probably not enough) 2-3 apples a handful of grapes 2 handfuls of raisins I was eating a lot of avocado before I started feeling sick. Now most of the time I can’t stomach it. After 3 days of being raw I was craving bread so I got a “healthy pizza” from this gourmet place with lots of veggies. I probably did that 3 or 4 days in total, whenever I felt like I needed some bread. But I didn’t start feeling sick until two weeks in. Then I felt like some times during the day the only thing I could eat was bread. I would bring tons of raw food with me to work and I couldn’t stomach any of it. Suddenly the kale salads I loved so much made me gag a little. I’m drinking green juice now from Trader Joes to get some greens in. Is this enough info? Maybe if some people could just tell me about their detox experiences it might help.

• I can’t speak to any detox symptoms since I’ve only just started converting to raw and am just beginning to detox myself! But I can comment on wheat/gluten allergy since I have both. One of my allergy symptoms is for me to get really really tired, so tired my eyes won’t stay open and I can barely carry on a coherent conversation – that’s one way I know if I’ve eaten something with hidden gluten in it. I just need to close my eyes and sleep!

One of my biggest cravings is bread – always has been. I’ve heard many people say that what you crave is the thing that your body can’t process (I also crave dairy and I am allergic). If you think you might be allergic to gluten/wheat you can test this yourself, just stay off it for at least a couple weeks (be strong!) and then try eating something full of gluten – a piece of bread or some dry cereal would work. Don’t go crazy, just a piece of bread is enough! See how you feel over the next day or so, if your symptoms come back you’ve probably figured out your problem. If you go see a doctor they will ask you to do the exact same thing, there is also a test they can do but there are different types of the allergy so they don’t always show up in the test. If you suspect it’s a problem that might be with cooked foods you can try some raw sprouted wheat products and see if you react.

I’m absolutely not an expert but this was my experience, maybe it will help you narrow down what is making you feel off?

• Sorry, I should mention if you’re going to try the gluten-free thing be careful of hidden sources – for example, I think nama shoyu has wheat in it? I use Bragg’s instead.

• Jessicaxo,

It’s funny, I used to have wheat-gluten allergies. My mother has them too. But after I had my son it seemed I could tolerate wheat as long as I didn’t eat anything really cheap like a hotdog bun. I remember the tiredness I felt from that. It was all over my body. My arms and legs would hurt, my heart would race and my eyes would burn. The only way I can describe the tiredness I feel now though, is the way I felt when I was on those painkillers after my C-section. It’s almost like being in a dream. You just feel really really sleepy, your body’s not aching, your heart’s not racing. Thanks you guys for your input. I think I will try the no wheat thing. I’ve definitely done it before. I used to be deathly allergic to any kind of vinegar too, but since going raw I can eat Bragg’s without any symptoms. Thank goodness! I’m love it. It’s nice to know that the bread cravings are normal on raw. Last night when I got home from work, my stomach was retching again. I ate some of my son’s ginger crackers (wheat and cooked) and felt all better. I guess I have to strengthen my willpower.