How many of each thing should I eat?

mewmewmintmewmewmint Raw Newbie

I'm a person that likes to keep things simple... I'd rather down a bunch of green juice than make a salad dressing every day. I've read a raw book that basically said "eat what you feel like eating" but I'm still craving junk, so I haven't got to the point where my body craves the right kind of things and I don't want to starve myself, nutritionally. I'd like to try again with a more scientific approach.

For example, carrots. I like them on their own but I don't ever crave them so often times I go without them for probably way longer than I should. I would like to know if anybody ever did a thing like... for the maximum amount of beta carotene your body can absorb eat X amount of carrots per day or week. I'm fair skinned so I find if I eat too many, my skin turns yellowish. I'm sure there are a lot of veggies and other things that I haven't even thought about that could be beneficial.

Is there any books or web pages that lay it out like: eat X amount of Y every day, week, or month?

Comments

• No no no! And ignore any source that tries to tell you things like that! Everyone is unique and you need to listen to your body to know what's right for you and when. This might take a bit of training if you're used to a standard western-style diet though, and your sensitivity to it depends on how much toxic and/or non-beneficial stuff is left in your system. For example, when your body needs energy you'll probably start craving carby stuff like pasta or bread. If you feel this, eat a bundle of sweet fruit. Gets rid of the cravings, and accustoms your system to a more suitable and beneficial energy source. In fact, I think the best rough guideline for moving to a raw diet is eat a lot of fruit for starters anyway, since it's a great source of energy and nutrition as well as being what your body is most biologically tuned into dealing with. Don't neglect your greens, vegetables, nuts, seeds and seaweeds though (not too much of those last three).

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

I think Deadly Steve summed that up pretty well:), im glad you added the seaweeds for the iodine, its so often overlooked.

• You have to remember that when you're on a raw diet, you're not eating any "filler" calories. EVERYTHING you eat is jam-packed ith nutrients so there's less of a need to tally up your nutrient intake at the end of a day. Listen to your body and you'll be fine. Just remember to soak your nuts and seeds for at least 7 hours before you eat them!

• Maybe you think you are craving junk food out of boredom or habit? Almost how some people will eat something just because it's placed in front of them, not because they're truly hungry?

Then again it just may take awhile to get used to your new diet. If you love green juice, you should consider wheatgrass juice. Tons of nutritional benefit and helps you stay pretty full. www.SweetWheat.com has vegan, raw freeze-dried powder wheatgrass juice you can mix in with other juices if you want.

Hope it all works out.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

mewmewmint, going raw is much easier than that. All you have to worry about is eating as much sweet fruit as you care for, limiting your fat intake (10% or less of total calories), and getting in your greens and non-sweet fruits (a large salad in the evening should cover it). There's no particular food that you absolutely must eat and you only have to worry about variety in the diet over the year, not every meal, day, week, or month.

I honestly can't remember the last time I had a carrot, by the way. :)

Swayze

• mewmewmintmewmewmint Raw Newbie

When I eat something beneficial that I haven't had in a long time, I feel a pleasant feeling in my body. This has happened for cucumber, ginger, carrots, goji berries and I've even experienced happiness after eating oranges after I had been craving them. If I eat what my body needs before I crave it, I won't crave the junk. Yah everybody is different, but I would say that things that are beneficial are beneficial to everybody. And there are things out there that some people have not even tried that would make them feel great. Imagine how good you would feel if you had a bit of all of those things.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Okay, so if you feel like eating some oranges, eat some oranges, but make sure you get 2,000-3,000 calories per day and eat some greens.