Advice on buying from wholesalers?

I've found an importer near me who does stuff like organic bananas, mangos etc. but only wholesale. Now as far as I know, wholsesalers will only sell to businesses and not individuals, but I wonder has anyone found a way around this? I'd love a big box of organic mangoes!!

Comments

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

The best you can do is get in touch with the manager or someone high up. In most cases you'll need to be a business but if you can prove that you will be able to meet there minimum order quantities which may be on the large side then they will probably sell to you.

• hikurohikuro Raw Newbie

It doesn't hurt to ask. If they have an arbitrary 'businesses only' rule, but don't actually check, you can claim to be a company(that caters to the exclusive from their warehouse to your house clientele). Powerlifter's right, I think most places would oblige if you meet their minimum order price. You may have to go in with another person to meet that, or order several things that don't go bad very quickly.

I've yet to find a wholesaler in my area(one likely exists, but they're also likely further than I'd be willing to drive), so for now it's just the cheap stuff(bananas mostly). I need to work on the social nerve to ask a few places what they do with their 'overripe' produce, and if I could take them off their hands(for a discount), but haven't managed it yet.

• Maybe you could get a few others keen and set up a small co-op type group? :0)

• Thanks for all the advice! I'll give it a go anyway, worst that can happen is they say no.

Hikuro, I don't think much nerve is needed to ask businesses for what they'd consider "out of date" stuff, or even surplus stock. Do you know about Food Not Bombs? They do it all the time and feed people for free in public with it.

Great idea Sals, I just have to find someone who loves mangoes as much as I do. Most people around my area are suspicious of anything that's not bacon and cabbage though, let alone tropical fruit! Bah.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Getting to know your local organic farmers can be a good idea, they will usually do deals for bulk aswell as regular purchases. I know many who get very good deals due to building a friendship with there local farmers. Some awesomely fresh produce also.