Reductionism

Several of the people here have read the China Study book. There is a chapter devoted to reductionism. For those who do not remember and those who have not read the book, reductionism is the way the scientific community looks at nutrition. They reduce it to a single nutrient like a vitamin or an amino acid etc. and say that this vitamin or nutrient is required in such and such a doseage to keep from getting sick or to cure something. This is the big mistake that is made as no nutrient on it’s own will be of any benefit at all unless it is all a part of a whole raw ripe and organic plant based food. This same thinking keeps on croping up here on these forums over and over. I see so many people writing that such and such is a cure for X or Y. The facts are that nothing can be further from the truth. There is no vitamin, amino acid, herb, superfood, mineral or food that can cure or prevent anything. The body is the only thing that can cure anything and it does so if it is given the right balance of inputs including food, sunshine, fresh air, positive thinking, exercise, and positive relationships. If you have actually taken one of these miracle cures and felt better then you would have felt even better had you not taken it and just let your body do the work uninhibited by the most likely toxic substance you ingested. It is a difficult step to take when you think this way because the whole world works the opposite way, everything has a cure – but stop for a minute and think about why there is a problem in the first place…is it a deficiency of the ‘cure’? I highly doubt it, then it must be that one of the above items in the healthy balance list was incorrect. To fix the problem all that needs to be done is correct that input. Health is that simple.

Comments

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

You know, I’ve been thinking lately… There are those “recommended daily requirements” numbers all over, but how do they even know they’re true? Based on what exactly? On someone “healthy” that got that from their standard diet? It doesn’t make sense.

• Well put, SocaL. I was thinking about this the other day when I was standing in line at a grocery store and saw they were selling Hershey’s Chocolate – with Antioxidants!

Now milk chocolate lovers can enjoy the benefits of dark chocolate! At 260 mg of flavanol antioxidants per 40 g serving, HERSHEY’S ANTIOXIDANT Milk Chocolate has more antioxidant capacity (ORAC*) than the leading dark chocolate, or 3 cups of green tea!

Sure. Skip your green tea – you just need a chocolate bar now! Good luck with that, America.

• What really amuses me is the way corporations fortify food and beverages like white bread or soda with added vitamins. Do people really believe that its healthy?? that its ok to drink or eat it because someone added nutrients?

• LOL at what Ray said. It also made me think of Coke Plus…. a soda… with vitamins??? That’s suppose to make it healthy???

I agree, Socal, the China Study also mentions that there are SOOO many phytonutrients that we have no yet discovered. The human body is a complex chemical lab, affected by a variety of factors. If we all think back to high school chemistry, we are an “open system” readily “giving” and “receiving” from our surroundings.

Eating fortified white bread, vitamin water, and antioxidant chocolate is laughable.

I also think this proves the gradeur of nature. With all our brains we haven’t figured out that whole unprocessed foods are BETTER than anything we can come up with in a lab.

• what a great thread – thank you!

• SocaL, you seem to be quite knowledgeable about health. Many of your views coincide with mine. Did you go to school or just self-educate? Thanks for your insight!

• Hi Sara! I was introduced to the raw lifestyle in 2001 when I finally had enough of the medical establishment’s lies and propaganda with respect to health, especially my own. I took responsibility for my own health at that time but I still did not completely follow the natural laws. In 2005 I managed to get rid of my so called incurable disease without any doctor, medication, herb, special food or any other unnatural means. It’s been a fun and exciting adventure since then. I have a personality where I love to get to the root of everything, leave no stone unturned, try everything if it makes sense and stick with the best. So far I have found the best way to stay healthy and live a low impact but high energy life on this earth is to follow natural hygiene. It doesn’t really prescribe a particular diet but one that is in line with nature and the needs of our body. All I know is from self experimentation, I tried the high fat raw diet with all the s(t)up(id)erfoods and toxic spices, it was not much better than the cooked vegan diet, I tried several other versions of diets, the one I am on now seems to be the best. When I find a better one I will try it and see.