Ronco Food Dehydrator Q's

Hello All! I am taking baby steps into dehydrating. I was just given a Ronco food dehydrator, and don’t have the liners needed. Does anyone know what a good substitute would be to line the trays? Until I get a nice excalibur dehydrator,I hope this will do for the moment! Be well, and Thank you! Leigh

Comments

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Use natural wax paper and spray with olive oil. This is will keep your foods from sticking to the wax paper. Only get the natural wax paper (it is brown). Don’t use the white stuff – I have used both and the food sticks to the white stuff but not the brown.

• leigh starleigh star Raw Newbie

Hello Queenfluff! Is natural wax paper similar to parchment paper? Thank you so much for your help, I’ll go find some tonight and start dehydrating! xo Leigh

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

I really don’t mean to be a downer, I mean really, but doesn’t the ronco food dehydrator run on a pretty high tempeture?

• what is the highest temp you can run dehydrators at.Can you run them high and then turn them down after awhile.Do the better ones all have fans.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Well… Most people would say that higher than 110F you’re basically cooking the food, not drying it, and destroying the enzymes. Not all dehydrators have a temperature dial (to my knowledge, which is limited). The ronco food dehydrator runs on 130F, which is a little too high. Some people say that you can run it that high for the first hour or so because the water in the food will keep it cooler for that time, but then you have to turn it down or else, you may as well have baked it in your oven :c)

No it is not the same as parchment paper. You might see both near each other – they are different. The natural wax paper with the olive oil works great. It is sort of like greasing pans when you bake things. Keeps the batters from sticking. Still makes sure you flip when your mixtures are formed though. Once you flip you can remove the wax paper. It is mostly just for the “runny” stage of your raw batters.

Greetings Mizz Queenfluff and Mizz Morning_theft, you are really rocking my world today! Thank you so much! I still haven’t found the natural wax paper, but I know it’s just around the corner, waiting for me to find it. I thank you for your words.I know Ronco is not my ideal choice, but for now I’m willing to try it. Now that you’ve mentioned the higher temps, I will explore turning it off when it’s mostly past the runny/raw stage. I’ll keep you posted on my experiments in dehydrating! Take care! You are truly rawsome women! ;)

Here is the brand I get:

http://store.greenfeet.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=6006…

I believe Whole Foods sells it if you can’t find it at your local store or coop.

Thanks Queenfluff!