Raw Granola

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to the raw lifestyle but I love granola. I've made a really killer good granola cereal and I'm considering packaging it to sell at our local farmer's market. We always eat it up before it could possibly go bad but I'm wondering what would the recommended self life be for something like this? Does anybody know? Is there a web site I could look at for that sort of information?

Thanks in advance,

Michelle

Comments

• Hi Michelle!

It would really depend on the ingredients used and how long you are dehydrating.

If you're dehydrating till it's fairly dry and/or crispy, the shelf life will be extended. However, if you're leaving it somewhat chewy, this could effect the overall life. I'm currently working on this as well with my raw cookies (how long the shelf life would be). Because I know my recipe is different from any others, I'm doing a self test experiment.

Basically, I've set out a dozen cookies (room temp in container) and each week I test a cookie. I know this is somewhat painstaking, but it's really the best way to decide an appropriate shelf life!

Another approach, to get a relative idea, is browse your supermarkets raw products - read labels, see when it was packaged (not always available) and what the expiration date is. Then, you can use that as a guideline!

Hope that helps!

• Thanks Rawxy!

I dehydrate it for between 6 to 8 hours and it's has just a slightly chewy texture. I have been storing it at room temperature in a sealed container but we eat it so fast (like a day or two) that I can't begin to judge it's shelf life. I'll try your ideas of self testing.

Cheers :)