Dehydrated apples

rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

Hi,

Have you dehydrated apples? how long des it take? mine have been in the dehydrator for 14 hours!! and still are leathery and not crunchy. is there a way to make them crunchy? I would appreciate any advice :), thank you.

ClaireT

Comments

• You just have to wait =) Although, it does help to try and slice them thinly.

They do take a while. I can`t even imagine how long it takes to dehydrate bananas and melons! Yet I`ve seen people sell raw dried cantelope and melon...

Hang in there!

• LindaLinda Raw Newbie

It usually takes 12 hours at 130 degree F. It can depend on a lot of other factors as well like how thin you slice the apple, what dehydrator you are using etc.. I have covered how to dehydrate apples here. It could help. 

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Adding lemon and slicing extra thin seems to help make mine crunchy. 

• As Linda pointed out, you need the right temperature. I'd even take it up to 135 degrees F. 

The thickness apples will also change things. Slicing them 1/8" is possible with a mandolin. If you're using a knife, I wouldn't go any thicker than 1/4".

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I wonder if soaking them in something sugary first would make them crispier once dried.