Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

100% raw, does it work for you?

LaraLara Raw Newbie

Hi Everyone, I'm vegan and also very interested in raw food. I make most of my recipes raw, but I feel like I really need to combine with some cooked foods (like a bowl of quinoa) to stay full and energized. Maybe it's just my big appetite, but I tried being fully raw for one day and I still felt bad and deprived until two days after (eventhough I ate a lot of fruits and vegetables, it was nearly impossible to stay full, and this was only for one day!). How do you guys manage? Maybe being a 100% raw just doesn't work for me?

Best Answer

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master
    Answer ✓

Hi and welcome, Lara!

It's usually a long and gradual transition over to 100% raw. Many people just make raw a percentage of their diet, rather than the whole thing, so you're not alone. Have you tried any of the recipes that contain nuts? I find that those are usually more "heavy" and thus  feel more filling. 

Answers

• LaraLara Raw Newbie

Alright, thanks!

For now I'll just keep doing what I've been doing then. I didn't buy any nuts yet, because I'm never sure whether they're raw or not... About cashews I'm sure they're never raw, because raw cashews are toxic. Otherwise I don't know how to check...

ClaireT

:)

They would probably be advertised as raw (although I think they can heat treat almonds and still label them as raw). If you can't find any locally, I know there are some available online.  

• LaraLara Raw Newbie

Thanks smile

I've seen these foods with raw labels in bioshops, but as a student these are a bit overpriced for me. Fortunately fresh fruits and vegetables are great quality here, and cheap if they are seasonal. As long as I don't find raw nuts that are studentbudget friendly I can survive on those wink .

Anyways, thanks a lot for the information. I was feeling bad about myself for not being able to stick to all raw foods.

ClaireT

You're welcome! Just remember, going towards a raw diet is about feeling good, not bad. :)

• LaraLara Raw Newbie

Haha, definitely!

ClaireT
  • AmberJacksonAmberJackson Raw Newbie

100% raw... does it work for me? I haven't gotten there yet... hopefully some day soon I will find out for myself.

ClaireT
  • LaraLara Raw Newbie

Haha yes it definitely has great benefits. I already liked what going vegan did for my health (and conscience!), going partly raw made me feel even better (been working on it for almost three weeks now). The only difficulty I've had up to now is some problems with digestion in the first week, but that's already mostly over.

Why are you nervous about it?

• JanaceJanace Raw Jr. Superstar

Hi Laura, welcome. I buy my raw cashews at Sprouts. Regular price they are $8.99 per pound and when they go on sale (about onece a month or so) they are $4.99 per pound. Do you have a Sprouts near you?

You will find the balance of raw food that works best for you. When I first started I was not eating enough food so I was hungrier. smile

RawLifer
  • LaraLara Raw Newbie

Hi Janace,

I had never heard of Sprouts. Apparently they are in Europe, but there's not one near me. I live in a city that is full of bioshops though, and the bioshop I like to go to has some raw products (but not nuts, sadly).

• stephanbstephanb Raw Newbie

It is just too hard for me to find enough food for the whole day that would be raw and clean. I do not know how to do it at all frown

• LaraLara Raw Newbie

Yes I know right, it's hard! So what do you usually eat in a day?

It can take time. I started with breakfast and snacks, and then worked my way up from there as I learned about more raw foods and recipes. 

Hi Stephanb,

I usually start my day with a smoothie or fruit with almond butter. For lunch I usually have a raw soup and/or salad. For dinner I will make something heartier like the raw chili, tacos, a veggie burger, or pizza (all raw of course). For snacks I will eat nuts, fruit, and crackers typically. If I snack on crackers I like to have some raw hummus, guacamole, raw cheese, or raw pate. Raw desserts are delicious as snacks too but I try to limit the sweets smile. The most important thing is to have snacks with you. I ususally have raw nuts in my bag along with an apple and a banana. This way when I get hungry I have something. I hope this helps. 

RawLifer
  • LaraLara Raw Newbie

I'm wondering... How can you make raw houmous? You always have to boil chickpeas, right? Unless they come out of a can, but in this case they're already boiled...

Hi Lara,

You can make raw hummus with zucchini rather than chickpeas. Here is the link to Laura-Jane's Chickpea free hummus. You can eat it as is or add just about anything you want to flavor it such as red pepper, sundried tomatoes, pesto, etc. It is really good.

https://www.therawtarian.com/raw-chickpea-free-hummus-recipe

The closest "raw" hummus recipe I found that contained chickpeas had the instructions, "boil water, take it off the stove, and put the chickpeas in it for a few minutes." That sounds like cooking to me. cry

• LaraLara Raw Newbie

Haha that sounds like a halfway solution to me! Trying to convince yourself it's raw when it's not...

I once found a "raw recipe" where they told me to steam the sweet potatoes...

ClaireT

The only truely raw hummus I have found uses zucchini in place of chickpeas. The consistency is not as thick but it is a great raw option.

ClaireT
  • RawLiferRawLifer Raw Jr. Leader

When I'm feeling particularly hungry and veggie salad isn't cutting it I will add sprouted quinia or extra nuts.  Raw oats in the morning is helpful as well.  Adding raw almond butter to your smoothie in the morning is a great protein boost and helps keep you full.   I also eat lots of avocados...packed with healthy fat and protein.