soaking, AND SPROUTING?

im sorry, but what does sprouting mean?

Comments

• Hi Just Beautiful! That actually confused me at first too! I was used to seeing the big sprouts at the grocery store that take around a week to sprout. But sprouting doesn’t have to take that long and for some things half a day is ok. For instance mung beans can be soaked in the morning and used in the evening. They are just round, not long like you’re used to seeing them in chinese recipes.

Lentils can be used in about a day and nuts can just be used in a few hours. For nuts you just want to get rid of the enzyme inhibitors that keep them fom digesting well. Some of the softer nuts are recommended not to soak in a recipe book I have. Are you looking at a specific recipe and want to know how to go about it?

• okay well i notice alot of recipes call for sprouting. why? what does it do, what does it mean, what does it look like?

• Hi Just Beautiful! Basically sprouting is the most important thing to most raw foodists! Next to getting rid of the enzyme inhibitors it makes all kinds of dead food come alive. Most seeds and nuts are in hibernation or suspended animation when they are dry. When you soak them, you wake them up. This in turn wakes your body up if you eat them. A bunch of vitamins also are activated like certain b vitamins, vitamin c, and enzymes.

It also makes seeds edible without cooking. Amaranth and quinoa seeds are hard when dry but when sprouted they are soft, and taste fresh. They are some of the best ones to sprout because they are so good for you. Sunflowers are fun to sprout if you can give them a few days. They are great in salads on top of raw burgers, or in raw egg rolls.

I have read from one source that there is b12 in sprouts but I am not 100% sure about it since I haven’t seen that mentioned in other things- but they are super healthy none the less.

The other thing is- with sprouts that are a little more mature the fat goes away completely. If you took a cup of sunflower seeds and a cup of sunflower sprouts the difference in calories would be about 750! Appx 800 for the seeds and 50 for the sprouts- the sprouts metabolize the fat and make it into green leaves, etc. It’s actually quite amazing!

• StefunkStefunk Raw Newbie

Justbeautiful-I myself had all these same questions. After a little research I found www.sproutpeople.com. It has a wealth of information! Good luck:)

• allright, thank you. i’ll be doing more research on this.

• where do you sprout? do you need a special thingamajig? after soaking… you just leave it in a bowl to sprout or what? please reply. :)

• another question: suppose i dont let them stop sprouting, amaranth for example, what will happen? will i in fact grow a batch of amaranth?

• shele24shele24 Raw Newbie

I sprout in a quart canning jar w/ cheese cloth on top. Soak my seed, etc. for a day and then rinse and lay @ 45degree angle, rinsing 1-2 times daily until sprout is of size. They have sprouting containers, but you don’t need them.