Has anyone read You're raw, they're cooked by Nomi Shannon?

FeeFee Raw Master

I was wondering about getting this but it is only available as an e-book and I always feel better with a physical book in my hands if I'm paying so much for it ($20 approx £13/14)

Has anyone read it and if so what did you think? Does it give recipes that can be eaten cooked or raw?

My problem is my other half doesn't really like vegetables cooked let alone raw! He drinks green smoothies without a problem and most raw desserts are ok too, it is just the main course that is a problem.

I find it a pain to have to make two separate meals - one for me and maybe my daughter and then one for him and maybe my daughter. At nearly 4 she is much more open to raw foods than he is, but I

guess that is because she has been brought up with having raw foods at least occasionally.

So I suppose I really want to know is it worth the money when it is only 80 pages long?

Thanks, Fiona

Answers

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I haven't read it, but I know your pain when it comes to having to cook two meals. I still find myself doing it sometimes just to keep everyone happy.

Fee
  • FeeFee Raw Master

I'm dozy! I think moving house has fried my brain - or what was left of it anyway :-) 

I have a copy of Practically Raw which offers cooked and raw options on the same recipes. It may have to become my new kitchen bible although I think I would have more sucess if I could give my partner a taste bud transplant :-)

ClaireT

I introduce a new food into the house each week with the hope that some will stick. Some weeks are more successful than others. We had a cherimoya this time, which I was sure would win over the non-believers, because it's essentially the custard of fruits. I loved it...and ended up eating the whole thing because my other half couldn't get past the first slice. Arg. 

Fee
  • FeeFee Raw Master

Oooh thats a good idea. I made the kale cheesecake this week and Wednesday night he had a tiny nibble and declared he didn't really like it. Then last night he came home and ate an entire slice!?! I'm going to try something new every week for him, and us too. I had the chocolate day yesterday and he liked those :-)

ClaireT
  • FeeFee Raw Master

I've never had a cherimoya :-(

• FeeFee Raw Master

Update on the kkale cheesecake - OH has just finished the last slice and said yes I should definately be making it again! And he has been messaging his friends with a picture and the ingredients!

ClaireT

That's great. :) Sometimes there are successes. I would say that is a huge one. 

Fee
    Fee said:

I've never had a cherimoya :-(

They're hard to come by, but sometimes they pop up among the exotic fruits at the grocery store. 

• FeeFee Raw Master

I will keep my eyes peeled for one.