How Long will Nama Shoyu Keep...

germin8germin8 Raw Master

I just opened my first bottle of Nama Shoyu… but, it turns out I’m not using it as often as I expected. I bought the big bottle… and now, I’m wondering how long it will last in the fridge before it goes bad. How will I know when it’s gone bad… taste? smell? time?

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I haven’t given up on this one… anyone know? The bottle is still in my fridge. And, it’s been 3 weeks now. It still tastes good… I think.

• shele24shele24 Raw Newbie

It should be fine in the fridge. Don’t worry!

I’d like to know how long it will keep… otherwise I have to plan in advance and make a one-and-a-half-hour (and sometimes 3 hour) drive to get it. (Plus, I teach raw food classes… so I like to have it on hand for them to try. And, when somebody asks… it’s good to know.)

Braggs has an expiration date. Nama Shoyu doesn’t. Maybe it keeps forever. :o)

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

It took several years to ferment, so I guess it should last at least a few months in your refrigerator. You can always order it online, I did.

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Re nama shoyu, assume everyone knows it’s made from bacteria feeding on dead matter, ie cooked soya beans and roasted wheat? The word ‘nama’ simply means it isn’t pasteurised after that. I know it’s very tasty, and can help in a transition to a raw diet, but it’s not raw.

Good point debbietook. Thanks.