Yacon syrup, truly raw sweetner

rawmaidenrawmaiden Raw Newbie

For everyone concerned about agave and the corn syrup controversy, here is a new alternative: and it’s truly raw. I have copy and pasted this from the raw guru site: http://www.rawguru.com/store/raw-food/raw-organ…

(they have good pricing on it too) and you can also check out sunfoods.com

100% Raw organic yacon syrup is a new vegan sweetener similar to molasses. Imagine a natural low-calorie sweet treat which is positively good for you and one you can indulge in even if you’re diabetic. Nature’s low calorie sweetener – Yacon Syrup! Pressed from the yacon root, this gift from nature has been enjoyed for centuries in the Andean highlands of Peru. As a prebiotic, yacon is good for digestion, safeguards against colon cancer, and helps absorption of calcium and vitamins. Though packed with sweetness, the sugar in yacon is mainly fructooligosaccharide, which cannot be absorbed by the body. This means yacon is both naturally low-calorie and low in mono and disaccharides (less than 1/2 g per serving), sugars that rapidly elevate blood sugar levels. Use it as you would honey or maple syrup on foods and in recipes or sweeten beverages with a spoonful. Nutritional Analysis: Serving 1 Tbsp (15 ml), Calories: 30, Fat: 0 g, Protein: 0 g, Carbs: 7 g (3 g Fiber, <1>

Comments

• WOW Thanks that looks great!

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

Hi Rawmaiden,I would like to ask you about the taste of the yacon syrup.Is that good? Also,do you know lucuma powder?I heard it is sweet like maple syrup.Is that true?

• rawmaidenrawmaiden Raw Newbie

I have bought a few kinds of Yacon, the one I like is expensive though, from natural zing, it has a very fruity taste, kind of like a blend of honey with molasses and citrus. I love it. Other brands taste similar to molasses but not as strong or bitter, it has a wonderful taste, but it depends on the person I guess. Some like Agave more, i like both, depending on my taste buds. I wanted to share about the Yacon since Agave is not truly raw, it is heated to I believe 140? and the other problem is some company’s are adding corn syrup, which is so bad, it makes me so mad!! Some Yacon’s are heated too, so be careful what you buy and where. Here is the link to Natural Zing, I believe they are the only ones carrying this syrup that hasn’t been heated, I can’t find it anywhere else. http://www.naturalzing.com/catalog/product_info… But I will keep looking since it’s so expensive too. I will let you know if I find a better deal.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I have the Yacon syrup from Natural Zing too but I got the other one (the one that is probably not truely raw) because I wanted a smaller bottle first. It is a good sub for agave in smoothies and such but it tastes OK by itself but I still prefer the taste of agave. Yacon is good if you are avoiding sweets (like if you have candida) and it is OK to use for that.

Oh, FYI, Alissa Cohen sells on her site what she claims to be truely raw agave. It is almost clear in color opposed to the darker colors you normally see in agave.

http://www.alissacohen.com/shop/product.php?pro…

• m00nchilem00nchile Raw Newbie

Here is where I have been buying Agave from lately. I beleive them to be reputable and sell a quality product. You can combine your order with others and buy by the case to get the best deal.

http://www.volcanicnectar.com/agavenectar.html

• rawmaidenrawmaiden Raw Newbie

Thanks queenfluff, for the info on the raw agave, I couldn’t find any that were raw. I still like to use the agave, because of the milder taste compared to the yucon. I love to use agave in my sun teas : )

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

“Madhava” Raw Agave, available on amazon claims it’s produced at temps below 115 degrees. Get the bottle from them that states Raw on it because they produce both kinds (Raw and Not Raw). Inexpensive if you buy 12 bottles at once on amazon….and it has a great shelf life so it’ll last if you get the box. Or, buy a box and share it with a few people. Cheers!

Chef Kristen Suzanne