Looking for a Post

Hi all…this morning I am looking for a particular post and not having much luck…:(

Someone put up a great little reference of foods that are good/bad for pain. I was camping w/ my mother who suffers from moderate to severe arthritis pain and though I could probably never convince her of this raw lifestyle, I thought getting her the list would be a reference for her. So if whoever posted it originally could get it to me or point me back to it, I’d really appreciate that :) Thanks!

Peace

Tessa

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

did you go to forums and do a search for “pain” there’s tons that comes up.

• Hi Tessa. There are a lot of sources on this. An important aspect is whether your mom has an immune reaction going on. If this is the cause then she needs to go raw for a week to see if she has some improvement. Nothing is going to help her if it’s an allergic reaaction to milk and she keeps eating cheese.

If it’s gout related then she should eat a lot of cherries and see what happens. I have eaten a whole big bowl of cheries and the next day I could barely move so it was breaking down crystals that had formed in my joints and it hurt but the next day I was a lot better.

If it’s ortho type as in one knee then she could up her intake of fresh oranges and orange peel. Kandaces lemon cookie recipe is also great with orange peel. It is supposed to be a pain inhibitor. SHe should try glucosamine at 1000 mg 2x a day. even 1500 would be good- lower doses don’t do anything. Curries with tumeric are supposed to help.Here is some info from the internet below related:

Phytochemicals in citrus

Citrus, in addition to its ample supply of vitamin C, folic acid, potassium and pectin, contains a host of active phytochemicals that also protect our health. In fact, there are over 170 phytochemicals in an orange (25). The more than 60 flavonoids in citrus possess a wide range of properties including anti- inflammatory and antitumor activity, inhibition of blood clots and strong antioxidant activity (26). The flavonoids, tangeretin and nobiletin, are known to be potent inhibitors of tumor cell growth and can activate the detoxifying P-450 enzyme system (27).

There are about 40 limonoids in citrus, with limonin and nomilin being the principal ones. These compounds, which occur in high concentrations in grapefruit and orange juice, partly provide the bitter taste in citrus. Limonoids possess the ability to inhibit tumor formation by stimulating the enzyme glutathione S-transferase (GST) (28). GST is a detoxifying enzyme that catalyzes the reaction of glutathione with dangerous electrophiles to form less toxic and more water-soluble compounds that can be easily excreted from the body.

Orange and lemon oil contain substantial amounts of limonene, a terpenoid that also possesses anti-cancer activity (29). Citrus pulp and the albedo (the white of the orange) is rich in glucarates. These substances are being studied for their potential to prevent breast cancer and to lower the risk of symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (25).

There are about 20 carotenoids in an orange. Pink grapefruit have a high content of beta- carotene, while other citrus (such as tangerines, oranges) contain high levels of other carotenoids (lutein, zeaxanthin, beta-cryptoxanthin) (30) that have significant antioxidant activity. These carotenoids are associated with a lower incidence of age-related macular degeneration, the leading cause of blindness in the US after age 65 (31). Pink grapefruit also contains a high level of 1ycopene, the red pigment in tomatoes and guava that has a significant anti-tumor activity.

• Hi Tessa, here is a little more info:

Lemon (citrus x limon)

Perfume and cosmetic manufacturers have long valued lemon