do soaked seeds go bad??

Hi! I’m a newby here. Started going raw (mostly) as of yesterday. Anyway, I soaked some almonds and sunflower seeds overnight 2 nights ago so they would be ready for my new lifestyle change. I left them out to dry for a few hours yesterday and then put them in a plastic container and left them on the counter. This morning when I went to use them, a few of them were hairy. Yikes! Any other experiences like these? Thanks!

Comments

• it is better to leave them in the fridge after you soak them…

• and i think they are supposed to have access to a constant air supply? (tottally new to sprouting, as well)

• I have kind of similar problem. I bought sunflower seeds at Holland and Barrett, a health store. Soaked them for 8 hours, and then some of them went kind of blue-green, and I dyhidreted them… even more of them got “coloured”. I am not sure if it is safe to eat them afterwards? Can anyone suggest what’s going on??? thanks

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Were you trying to sprout them?

When you finish soaking/germinating nuts/seeds at room temperature, you can do one of 3 things. 1) Store them in water in the refrigerator. Changing water daily or every 2 days max. They keep for several days. 2) Dehydrate them, then store them in an air tight container in the refrigerator. They can keep for weeks depending how much you dehydrate. 3) You can sprout them… (don’t know too much about how to do that though).

When you soak the seeds you are removing the enzyme inhibitors like phytic and tannin acid. So, they are no longer dormant and will go bad.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

With sunflower seeds, you have to remove their skins or they go bad very very quickly… I’ve had that problem before.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Daria, take them back to Holland and Barrett and get a refund! They may have sold you old rancid nuts.

The hairy thing is just mould. Caused by dampness and warmth. Refigerate and keep them sitting in a seive/colander just to be on the safe side.

• Thanks! Waste of good nuts-what a bummer. More careful next time. Wasn’t trying to sprout them. Not sure at all how to do that.