flax and sunflower seeds

I would like to make my first crackers in my new dehydrator. I want use flaxmeal, is it just fine to grind the flaxseeds in the coffee grinder? or have I to soak and dry them before grinding? What is about sunflower seeds – I soaked and sprouted them, how long have I to place those in the dehydrator for dryed seeds?

Peace

Comments

• Hi Sonne! You can just grind the flax and use it in the recipe but some recipes say to soak over night and then use. What are you trying to make? I would say to dehydrate at least 6 hours on the sunflower seeds.

I would grind first and then soak if that’s what the recipe calls for. I usually add dry ground flax to recipes like crackers. Usually about a quarter cup to a cup of grated carrot but of course some people soal the seeds over night and then make the 100% flax crackers the next day. Flax seeds get really sticky when you soak them- that’s normal.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

If you are going to make a meal or flour, I would not grind them up and then soak them, because they will loose a load of nutrients. Just grind them up dry like writeeternity does. Dehydrate sprouted sunflower seeds for as long as they need until they are nice and hard. Dont worry about killing them, low temp dehydration locks in the nutrients in sprouted seeds and nuts.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

Flax meal is healthier for your than whole flax seeds. Your body has a hard time digesting flax seeds when they’re whole but when ground to a powder, it’s much easier to assimilate the nutrients.

Soaked sunflower seeds can take up to 12 hours to dry. Somewhat depends on your climate (is it humid where you live? dry). If you have an Excalibur dehydrator, start dehydrating them at 130-140 degrees for about an hour (you won’t compromise the integrity of the nutrients by doing this for a short period of time in the beginning), and then turn down the temperature to 105-115 and dehydrate the rest of the time, until dry. It could take anywhere from 6 hours to 12 hours, maybe more.

Chef Kristen Suzanne

• Thank you all.

I aggree with KristensRaw – I have problems to digest whole flax seeds, but I like to eat crackers. I just finished a package of crackers with flax meal and it was so much better for me so I thought I will make my crackers next time in that way too.

• I never soak flax. I buy it whole(so it’s nutrients don’t decompose so quickly) and grind it in a coffee grinder, just as you had asked. I suppose my saying this was a little useless and obvious though hah. Let me know how your crackers come out. :)