New to Dehydrating

I just got my new Excalibur and read through their manual section about raw /living food and they suggested to intially set the thermostat to 145 degrees for the first couple hours to stop the potential of spoilage or bacteria growth. After that then set the thermostat to the desired temerature. I have only been transitioning to raw for 3 months and this is my first dehydrator but none of the recipes I’ve seen mentions this high temp. I was just wondering how others felt about this. I don’t want to over heat my food but also am a little nervous about it going bad.

Comments

• Congrats on your new dehydrator. You’ll love it!! Yes, there are raw recipes out there that suggest this multi-level setting, and I’ve been told it is acceptable.

Personally, I’m not comfortable with using high settings, so I set my dehydrator at 105 and rarely change the temp setting. I simply dehydrate a bit longer, and everything comes out just fine. I’ve had my dehydrator for 3 years and have done everything from crackers to main dishes, to drying fruit, etc. I’ve never had a problem with anything going bad.