Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sprouted Wheatberries

I find myself with a few pounds of wheatberries that I had intended to make into flour for baking but I’m trying to get away from that so I was wondering about how to use these sprouts. I tried several years ago to make a sprouted wheat bread like ezekiel bread, but it was a disaster and I gave up trying. So I was wondering, What do you do with these sprouts once you have them?

Comments

• You could add them to crackers, raw mac and cheese, or grow them into wheat grass and juice it.

http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/1333-Zucaroni-an…

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Alissa Cohen’s book, “Living on Live Food”, has a recipe for dehydrated hamburger buns made from sprouted wheatberries. They’re the soft white ones. I thought you needed hard winter wheat berries to grow. I bought a wheatgrass juicer a couple of years ago, but I’ve never used it, have never planted the wheat that I bought at the same time. Do you suppose it will still grow?

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

If it was stored dry it should. I always try to use seeds from the year before when I plant my garden and most of the time they come up fine, at least for a few years anyway.You could try sprouting 50 to 100 berries and see if they grow. That will give you an idea of how viable they are. I think seed companies go for 80% sprout before they’ll pack them for sale. I just ordered Alissa’s book today so I’ll have to try that recipe for the buns. I have a weakness for breads and I’m just coming to the time of year wher I’ll have time to experiment with the recipes and the dehydrator…

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

rejuvelac is made from sprouted wheat berries… you can drink it or make nut cheese.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Sprout them for one day/24 hours, dehyrate them then grind them and you will have raw sprouted flour to make pastry, bread, pancakes, crepes and other yummy things with.

Best tip I ever got was to only sprout them 1 day until there is 1mm of tail on them, any more and it tastes bad and smells really icky.

My raw bread recipe is here: http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/380-Zoe-s-Bread-

• Hi Is there an update on the wheatberries? I just sprouted some but need to make something fast. How does your bread turn out Zoe? Has anyone ever made crackers with them. I can’t get raw buckwheat so I’d have to leave it out or substitute something for it.

Got busy this week and no time yet to play! Will keep you informed. I think I’m going to soak them overnight first and then sprout 24 hrs like Zoe said and just get them into the dehydrator to dry. Once dry I can just store them.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I LOVE the sprouts on top of fruit with ground up flax seeds and raw honey, I only like juicy fruit like pineapple and watermelon with this combo. Also, you can make a sprout salad, just add evoo, salt, pepper and chopped up veggies…delicious! OR just throw some on top of your salads.

We have sprouted both spring wheat and hard wheat successfully. I only like it if the sprouted tail is the size of the wheatberry, not too long or it will get a little more “sweet” or “grassy” tasting. FYI, once it’s this size sprout, you can at that point put them in a container in your fridge for a few days…just make sure to rinse really well, spin or pat dry, then put in the fridge. The refrigerator slows the growth tremendously.

I was told by an Amish farmer (woman) that the hard wheat is for breads, it rises best, spring wheat does not, that was why my bread in the past never rose really well :)

I forgot to say, if it smells badly, then you have not rinsed it enough OR you have bad seed and they’ve gone rancid/moldy. We rinse in the morning and evening, not just a sprinkle, really, really rinse, rinse, rinse the sprouts. If you live some place warm, you might have to rinse 3 times a day. They should have no odor. Only once did ours get stinky and out the door they went for the squirrels :)

• Are wheatberries the same thing as buckwheat groats? If they aren’t, I’ll start a new topic for this question: Must raw buckwheat groats be sprouted to make edible or will an extended soaking suffice? How long?

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

I found sprouted grains of any kind hard to digest. I would stick to some nice flax and nut crackers :)

Zenpawn—wheatberries are different from buckwheat and I’m not sure if you need to sprout but in general, sprouted is more nutritious.

Rawmama—I’ll try that with the flax and honey because I’m a really raw honey addict! I use the master sprouter from sproutpeople and it makes the rinsing and storing super easy and quick.

Humanimal—Did you have problems with grains and digestion before you went raw?

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

I make Essene bread (as per the ‘recipe’ in the Essene Gospel of Peace) every day. For one portion: soak 1/3 cup berries overnight. Drain and sprout for 1 day at the window (doesn’t even have to be sunny). Next day process them into a sticky dough (I use a ‘mini’ food-processor). Press out into a round (very) flat pattie. Leave by light window (sun is ideal, but works without) and bread is ready by the afternoon if sunny, and evening if not.

How warm does it have to be? I live in Eastern Pa and we usually have alot of cloudy days. Could you do this in a dehydrator (covered to keep it from drying)? I tried to do this a few years ago after the ezekiel bread fiasco but I think I tried to bake it and it turned into a brick! It sounds like this would look like a wrap.

We also live in Eastern PA, so I also am interested in knowing about your location debbietook. It sure would be great to make food in the sun that way! I made something similar in the dehydrator and it got gross, smelled badly, so am wondering if it was too humid outside that week or if my dehydrator was too low of a temp, but don’t want to kill the enzymes…How thin is thin? I tried it at a little lower than 1/4”

• That’s a great idea Debbie! I read somewhere that a person making essene bread cooked it at appx 245 degrees for an hour or two and it turned out great. I was suprised because of the temp but maybe that is still low enough if it’s for a short period of time. I’d have to find the link again.

I took some sprouted wheat berries, blended them, then added a few whole ones and put them in the oven at 245 today to see what would happen. I added a little salt and raisins, and cinnamon. It came out like warm oatmeal. I think it was in about an hour. I also had to use some water blending it because I was using a not so good blender. It was super sweet even though I didn’t use and sweetener.

I’d think it should be put on some parchment paper so it doesn’t stick to what you’re using. That gave me some major encouragement. I’m going to try the lower temperature method next- or even the dashboard method!

I called the Food for Life Co a while back and asked what temp they cook their bread at and she said 250. The packaging said it is prepared so as to preserve the natural enzymes. Maybe 245 would be OK. If you could get it to work lower I’m sure that would be even better for the enzymes. My sprouts are 24 hr. now and just barely have a tail. I think it’s supposed to be warm and sunny tomorrow but I don’t know if I’ll have time to prep it!

That’s ok, they will sprout without sun too, just remember to rinse them well in the evening and in the morning to avoid any mold growth. Once they get a tail they sprout pretty fast! If you don’t have time, and they are the right length, then put them in the refrigerator until you have time to prep it. 245-250

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Hi folks – I’m in damp, drizzly, usually-cloudy UK! But, a dehydrator is not necessary. Mine dehydrates by evening just standing in the kitchen. Sorry writeeternity, but cooking at 245 is no way Essene bread, as the point of the bread described in Essene Gospel of Peace is that it is dried at a temp no hotter than placed outside in the sunlight. Deborahann, all the science I’ve read on this suggests that 250 in no way would preserve the natural enzymes – 115 is a safer cut-off point – many say lower. Rawmama – thickness: about the thickness of a pitta bread, perhaps a little thinner. This bread always works for me – if I leave it until the end of the day it’s crisp-ish. Sometimes I eat it halfway through the day (prob shouldn’t really…) when it’s still a bit moist, and spread it with a little mashed avocado, sea salt and cherry tomatoes..I really hope you can all make it now and it works out – do let me know.

Thanks debbietook…now I’m hungry! lol :) I will definitely try it out, I bet mine was just way too thick for our weather. Thanks so much for sharing your tips :)

• thanks debbie! i was wondering why the essene bread was being cooked at the higher heat but i guesss some people have come to feel that’s necessary. I hope more people try it!