Dehydrator vs. conventional oven

Hi everyone,

I’m a college student who is new to raw foods. I don’t have a dehydrator (mostly because I can’t yet afford one). However there are many recipes I’m eager to try that require dehydrating. I do have a conventional oven as well as a normal sized oven. Is there any way I can use either of those appliances in place of a dehydrator?

Thanks!

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

use your oven on the lowest it will go, find a fan and blow cool air into it whilst dehydrating (air cirulation is important to avoid mouldy food) Or if you have an oven with a fan in it have it blowing. Get a thermometer and keep a check on the temp. Should work fine.

Maybe there is are dehydrators on sale at ebay?

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

Keep in mind you might have to turn it on and off (as you monitor it) if your lowest setting is still too hot.

Kristen Suzanne

• Thanks. After looking on Amazon and finding some dehydrators that don’t cost an arm and a leg, I decided I’m going to buy one. Any suggestions (my budget would be about $100)?

• I have the Nesco American Harvest with a temp dial from 95 to 120 (I think). I got it from Amazon. It keeps temperatures pretty accurately as well. I believe it was $64/$69, and it included shipping and the screens and the teflex sheets. It is small though, but it works for what I need. =)

• I just saw one on amazon for 40 bucks. Its the same brand as lapetitemort’s.