Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

portable food options

I need some food ideas that I can use while I am in class. I have classes from 0800 to 1600 everyday. I am so tired of eating berries, nuts and seeds. I no longer want carrots or apples or celery. I know these are portable but I can’t eat it any more. I want some food. I want something to EAT! I know there are plenty of recipes to try but I do not know if they may need to stay cool until I eat them. Will I need to keep a cooler in the car and grab my meals from the cooler? Could I make something and put it on the dash of the car and let the sun warm it up? I do my green smoothies in the mornings but after about an hour I am starving. I am trying not to relapse and I want to go to the food court so bad and get something cheesy and melty and grease packed smothered in katchup. I know I know. I have not done it. I am going to attempt to make some crackers so that I can have a sandwich or something. Thank you for answering my desparate pleas of help!

Comments

• Hi Rawmen! I know what you mean. That’s when I make the nut cheeses and to really make them authentic add jalepenos. I have been experimenting with parsnips and they may fill the pasta craving for you. Just peel strips or use spirooli and put olive oil, garlic, and salt and dehydrate for 3-4 hours. You could do this on your dash. Make alfredo cheese or cheddar and toss. Black olives, mushrooms, sundried tomatos are good to add.

The sweet breads seem to hit the spot better than crackers for me. But the chicken salad of mine and the crackers made from that recipe are good. http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/1387-Dancing-Chi…

This is a good topic- I’d be curious what other people will say. The taquitos from this site are good. You may want to add more corn or some other sprouted grain like amaranth or quinoa for something fun.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I love the yam chips on this website, in fact the more I eat the more I like them! Also the raw bacon recipe and any crackers made with flax seed. I do love unchicken salads and eggless eggsalads too in addition to any side salads (not the leafy type, I prefer the ones with lots of sprouted wheatberries and veggies or tomatoes with basil, olive oil and sea salt) in a thermos or container in your backpack. How about different fruits, like mangoes or avocados?

How about make some savory raw soups and keep them in your thermos?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

What is in your smoothies? fats? nuts?

In, “12 Steps to Raw Foods”, Boutenko says that eating greens helps with cravings.

Your cracker idea sounds good… its sounds more ‘substantial’ and filling. Maybe make your self a lettuce wrap and fill it with veggies and a nut sauce or nut crumbles. Or make a dip for your veggies. But, your on the right track… dehydrates keep well. We eat too many nut foods here… so, we actually have to cut back because we get tired of them… our body reminds us of this. As much as I like the nut foods, I do have to eat many more veggies!

Have you tried making yourself a raw dessert that has nuts or avocados? It’s a nice guiltless treat. Like the cashew lemon cookies! Wow, those are great.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Do you have a dehydrator? If you do you can make wraps and take them in, fill them with salad and cream sauce and some basil or something, mmmmm. I guess if you haven’t got a dehydrator to make wraps in you could use leuttice leaves to fill with yummy stuff.

You can make burgers and eat them wrapped in leuttice leaves, and make your own raw ketchup, a big bottles worth once a week isn’t too much trouble. The Boutenkos have a recipe for a non dehydrated burger.

Make a raw pizza. Make the base and put the topping on when you are ready to eat, so it doesn’t g soggy.

I wouldn’t worry about keeping things cold if they are just for your daily lunch, I can’t think of anything that would be spoiled by being left out for one day, apart from ice cream….

• I get South River Miso. It isn’t technically raw, but it is living. Even Gabriel Cousens says this is good. Anyway, I put a dollop in a glass jar and add hot water at lunch. Then I put in whatever was at my house – chopped greens, seeds, nuts, sprouts, avocado, veges – whatever. Seeds and nuts can even have water added in the morning and be “soaked” by lunchtime. I add some seed crackers and this is a pretty filling meal! My breakfast is often sprouted, dehydrated buckwheat groats with soaked nuts, dried fruit and shredded coconut. I use coconut milk but you could also bring a dollop of nut butter in a jar, add water, and shake until you get nut “mylk”. Or put walnuts, coconut cream, maca and a few raisins in the food processer and chop. Then put in a jar. Later, add hot water and stir. You have porridge! Or you can process walnuts, carrots, broccoli and onion, add some seasonings and olive oil and press into patties. I like these topped with miso/tahini dressing. Another fun one is zuke “noodles” topped with raw pesto sauce (I use walnuts, basil, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and maybe a little salt).

• Thank you for ideas. I am going to the market today to pick up some new things. I do have a dehydrator and I tried the sweet potato chips. Mine came out little black chewy things(ugh). I am digging the raw pizza! I felt so discouraged because eating raw should not be boring. I just did not want to prepare a dish in the morning and then eat it during lunch and poison myself! I think I really need the tomato sauce recipes and breads. I was a HUGE bread and pasta eater. I knew everyone here would pull through to help a newbie out! I love you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• That just made me think about setting up canning jars with different choices and labeling them porrage, soup etc.

I also like the thermos idea!

• I really hope the ideas keep coming!!! Jenoz i love some of your ideas! As a college student, I have very little time, and I’m in class from 8 am to almost 7 pm… daily. On the weekends I work from 9-5. I too appreciate all the responses! Whooo

• Once I cut up yellow squash into small bite sized pieces and topped it with the Rich Cheddar Sauce from this site to make “Mac & Cheese”... I put in in tupperware to bring to work and I put it on the dash in my car to warm it! Also, the donut holes from this site travel well (plus they are yummy & filling).

• I just made some seaweed wraps with mushrooms, carrots, green onion and cucumber with a little shoyu to dip it in. They were very good! This will be an easy yet hearty meal inbetween classes. This gives me the salty-crunchy texture I have been swooning for. The carrot has a firm but soft texture like rice. Now this feels like a meal!