Your Favorite Olive Oil

I only have access to a fairly small health food store and they only have one brand of EVOO that says it is processed below 90 degrees. I tried it but it has a rancid taste to it. Does anybody have any recommendations for a good cold pressed, unfiltered EVOO that they love?

Comments

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

Living Tree Community is one of the best by far. It’s definitely worth it. Amazing flavor! Their website is: http://www.livingtreecommunity.com

Chef Kristen Suzanne

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I’ll check it out today! Thank You.

• Sciabica is the best Olive Oil ever. Sciabica is a family run company (my cousins actually!!) Their olive oil is cold pressed and they even have unfiltered. At the SF Ferry Building Farmers’ Market on Saturday I got Olive Oil that was just fresh pressed the day before! It is amazing. You can also order online at www.sciabica.com

• How healthy is olive oil, anyway? I seem to be going back and forth on this. And, is olive oil considered “raw”? One more, how heavily processed is it?

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I just ordered from Livingtreecommunity and it is raw. They slice and make a slurry and then centifuge so it is never heated(see their website). I will check out Renoir’s suggestion and try that one next time. Too much oil or any kind of fat isn’t good but olive oil is one of the healthiest out there in terms of type of fat. I also use amarante cold pressed, unfiltered macadamia nut oil which is even higher in monounsat’d fat than olive oil. Coconut oil also has some beneficial health qualities. I am trying to decrease the level of fat in my diet right now since I’m trying to drop a few lbs. so I’m upping my green smoothie intake to see if that helps with the fat cravings.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

It is raw if it is unheated/unfiltered…but some raw foodists don’t like to use it coz it is not a wholefood and hugely concentrated. And just not “natural”. You can substitute oily nuts or avocado if it doesn’t agree with you. I use it because I like it at the moment, I guess this may change as I progress, my body seems to be going for simpler things as I go along.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

Hey Zoe, Isn’t it amazing how your body changes and you start to crave different things (always evolving!)? In the summer, I crave fresh fruit all the time. I’m guessing this winter I’ll want Raw food that is a little heavier (at least that is how past winters have gone). Nonetheless, I love listening to my body and just being flexible. Cheers!

Kristen Suzanne