Why do you have to use raw kombucha with scoby to make more kombucha?

rindarubyrindaruby Raw Newbie

I accidentally used flavored (2nd fermented) tea with my scoby. I read that you have to use raw inorganic kombucha to make a batch of kombucha with scoby. I thought i was putting started tea in my batch, then I realized it was flavored. I can't find anything answering why it has to be unflavored starter tea. Can I keep my batch and see how it turns out. Or do I need to go ahead and throw it away. I was advised to keep it and see if it turns out ok without mold. But I'm kind of scared to chance it. 

ClaireT

Answers

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

It sounds like an interesting experiment. Maybe the flavor has the potential to damage the scoby?

rindaruby
  • rindarubyrindaruby Raw Newbie
    Yea it's basically an experiment now. We'll see. Right now I looks like mold is growing on the surface but so do the pictures online. I read to just see what happens it'll turn a color if it's mold. I'll post pics.
    ClaireT
  • RyanBreyRyanBrey Raw Jr. Leader

Wow! Can't wait to see how this turned out.

rindarubyClaireT

I'm glad to say the kombucha came out great. I'm making my third batch now. The scoby looks great. I can't say if it would've gone well using store bought flavored kombucha, but since it was home made maybe that's why it was fine. No signs of mold at all. 

ClaireT

I still need to post a picture...coming soon. 

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I'm glad it came out okay (and with no mold)! I bet it's good. Experimentation can turn out awesomely sometimes. smile

• Bucha BellyBucha Belly Raw Newbie

The reason you use raw kombucha as your starter is purely a precaution. SCOBY can be sensitive, and little changes can kill them (which is devastating if you have been growing one for a long time!)

I own Bucha Belly so we have to be really careful with our SCOBY to make sure it can keep producing fresh kombucha all the time!

That being said, I have a friend who has used coffee instead of tea with really interesting results, and experiments all of the time. My advice would be to keep experimenting, but make sure you maintain a pure healthy SCOBY just in case!