Rice?

Hi, I’m not sure if there has been a post about this yet. If so, sorry about the repost. But, can rice be sprouted? Or is it like beans and really dont taste that great. If anyone has any tips or instructions on sprouting rice would be a big help! Thanks

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

A lot/most rice is steamed/boiled etc during its processing and so is not raw and won’t sprout. But I have heard on this site of people managing to find truly raw rice and sprouting it.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i sprouted some long grain black wild rice, with success, the texture was good, although i couldn’t come up with a good way to season it.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

How do you know it has sprouted, what happens to it?

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

Actually wild rice is not a rice. It is an aquatic seeds. It needs to be soaked for several days, with the water changed frequently, until the “grain” splits and almost turns white.

If I want rice, I put cauliflower in the food processor and process it until it is almost the size of rice. It works for me!

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

I actually researched about rice and wild rice and discovered that neither are considered living foods. I agree with RCBlive and just substitute rice all together. Cauliflower sounds really awesome especially if you dehydrate it for a bit :)

• I live in Japan and here they have a kind of rice called “Hatsugagenmai”, hatsuga meaning “germinated” and genmai meaning “whole rice”.

The first time I bought it and soaked overnight, I found that in the morning it was bigger, like when you soak any legume, and tender, as if it had been cooked. I wonder if that can be be considered “sprouted” and if it would be safe to eat it. What do you think?

• Hmm, That’s kind of a bummer.

stylistchick- where did you find that black wild rice? I may give that a try. What did it look like after it ‘sprouted’?

Or I’ll just try the cauliflower, or experiment with things. Thanks

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I’ve been using brown coconut flesh processed into little pieces, it makes great curry rice.

I know some say that they are sprouting rice, but why do you believe that soaking it for days until it splits is sprouting? sounds like decaying to me, getting so soggy that it just starts to split. Soaking is not sprouting.

Everything I have personally researched says as Humanimal agrees, rice, brown rice, wild rice etc is not raw, so it cannot sprout.