Raw Mustard

Does raw mustard exist? I was looking at some of the websites and nobody seems to have mustard in any form. Can you make your own from dry mustard powder ?

Comments

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I made some a few days back and it was strong! No, I don’t believe you can buy it anywhere. You can make with mustard powder. Just use the same sort of ingredients that are in regular mustard which is basically vinegar (use apple cider vinegar), maybe some tumeric and a sweetener of sorts if you like sweeter.

Alissan Cohen has a recipe for honey mustard in her book. I believe it is basically just the mustard powder and honey.

The mustard is strong when your first make it and I think if it let it sit out it will mellow – if you put it in the frig right away it will stay strong. Mine was too strong so I will let my bf eat it. I like the regular yellow mustard.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Thanks for the info, Queenfluff. I really like the spicy brown and horseradish types for wraps and dipping. The spicy brown is best for dressings, I think. I’ll have to play around with that.

• you can soak mustard seeds and blend them with sweet dates,or dried mangos..some lemon juice and other spices if you like..chefraw.com

Are grocery store seeds good enough or go for a sundried brand?

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I get my organic mustard seeds in the bulk aisle at Wild Oats or Whole Foods.

I make my own mustard all the time…super easy :) 1-2 tablespoons (depends how hot you want it)soaked mustard seeds, a cup or more of olive oil, couple tablespoons each of apple cider vinegar and fresh lemon juice, few dates and maybe 1/2 cup agave (depending on how sweet you want it), Himalayan crystal salt, turmeric.

Chef Kristen Suzanne

Thank You! I was perusing the recipes in Rainbow live cuisine and found a couple of recipes. It’s now on my list of things to try.