Oxygen-rich Food

germin8germin8 Raw Master

Can someone tell me more about oxygen-rich foods?

I learned that Vita-Mix blenders (and the like) oxidize food. So, I assume this means once oxygen-rich foods are no longer oxygen-rich.

I was reading Get Fresh, a raw food magazine, and there was an article about steering “towards high-oxygen green juices and away from sweeter carrot and apple juice, on the basis that cancers love sugar but hate oxygen.”

I don’t eat a lot of greens… (yes, I know I should, based on the posts about cravings and body odor)... so, I will start adding greens. BUT, how do I know I am not damaging my food making it less oxygen-rich? Juicing causes juiced food to oxidize in 30 minutes or so. Vita-Mixes causes food to oxidized when blended. Is wheatgrass (pressed) juice the best? Should I just eat my food whole? I like the juicing idea, though… because I get more nutrients in, faster. Any advice?

Comments

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I think the nutrients lost to oxidation would be pretty insignificant. I have to make my juices from almost all greens and nonsweet fruits because of blood sugar. Mostly though I use the vita-mix. I just can’t bear the thought of throwing away all of that fiber! We probably need a good 75 grams a day and you just can’t do that with juicing. I think we probably lose the same amount chewing. When you eat these heavier greens, you really have to chew and chew- ideally to a creamy consistency – so I don’t see how that could be a whole lot different than the vita-mix. That is true about cancer cells thriving on high sugar. They can use 10 to 50 times the glucose of a normal cell. Cancer also thrives in an acid environment, so a heavy intake of alkalinizing foods like greens and their juices is very important. Juicing is great when feasting/fasting so that your GI tract can rest and the body’s attention can be turned to healing but I still think a heavy intake of the whole food is best on a regular basis.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Thanks deborahann.

With certain juicers, juice can oxidize fairly quickly – like 30 minutes. I wasn’t sure about “juices” from a Vita-Mix and other high-speed blenders… whether they oxidize right away once you start high-speed blending or after some time.

Triturating juices are best because the juice is pressed out and it maintains its freshness and nutrients longer (i.e. less oxidation). But, I don’t have one of those… kur-ching

I’m just curious, I guess. My Vita-Mix works great, but I like to know more of the details… guess it’s the engineer in me.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i think the easy solution is to get a juicer, (the jack lalanne power juicer is only about 100 bucks) and drink the juice immediately. i’m not sure about the 30 min. thing, but i’ve always heard that you should drink the juice right away, like minutes after, because it begins to lose nutrients quickly. you can juice wheatgrass in this particular juicer so you won’t need a wheatgrass juicer too.just cut the wheatgrass and wad it up into balls and throw it in.

i don’t know why i hear all the time about carrots spiking blood sugar! i even hear this coming from non-diabetics. i have type 1 diabetes, i have never had a problem with carrot juice, unless i was drinking huge amounts in one sitting. my blood sugar is elevated a little but it quickly goes down again. i think carrot juice is possibly the most nutritious of all juices, especially if you combine it with greens. if you avoid it because of sugar, you’re missing out. also, carrot juice and wheat grass juice are used in cancer therapy, so there must be something in it that is anti-cancer.

• Aloe vera is oxygen-rich. You could grow your own Aloe plants and harvest them to make Aloe Vera Juice. It’s also very easy to do. Check out this link, http://www.newstarget.com/021858.html

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I think that the type of juicer is important. I have a Jack Lalanne juicer and hate it. It has too many parts to clean and it’s a centrifugal juicer, one that oxidizes food quickly. The best type of electric juicer is a masticating juicer. You can always use the pulp in other recipes since fiber is such a necessary element.