Help me!: cooked temptations

I’m trying to adjust my diet from being 50-60% raw (how I grew up eating) to 80% raw. My roommate doesn’t quite appreciate raw foods, and his diet most often consists of Amy’s frozen dinners. I’ve occasionally tried to bring up the topic of raw foods (specifically because of the fact that he has MS, so I think raw foods would make a tremendously positive difference in his life) but he isn’t interested. I finally got over trying to change his mind. However, my problem is when I come home from classes at 7 pm, exhausted and hungry, he’s sitting at the table enjoying a nice hot plate of cheesy salty food which always permeates the kitchen and living room with its aroma. And then I look at the vegetables and nuts in front of me which I have to chop, mix, blend, and then clean up everything when all I want to do is sit down at the table and relax. I really enjoy eating dinner together with my roommate but I always start craving whatever he’s eating. And I start to lose my appetite for what I know will really nourish me. If you have any thoughts, ideas, and/or suggestions, I would really appreciate reading them. Oh, and thanks for putting up with all the run-on sentences and grammatical errors. ;)

Comments

• Hey Eden, that’s tough.

I find the easiest thing is to have some food ready to go in the fridge, a little salad, a little hummus, a little soup… whatever you can have in the fridge to eat when you are starving and might break down. Another thing is that after you eat more raw, you will notice that some of the cooked foods, esp the heavy ones or breads will just sit in your tummy like a pile of rocks – soon’s it’s like pavlovian response- and you won’t want the food b/c it makes you feel bad. I went thru all that years ago when stopping taco bell, white bread, pasta, sugar, now the same thing has happened with cooked, processed foods.

Best of luck, dear! :)

• When I’m starving and want some comfort food, I often heat up some water and add some South River Miso. Then I throw in whatever is in the fridge – leftover vege and nut patties, green leaves of anything, sprouts, seeds, nuts, chopped veges – whatever. I find the Miso is better than cheese. I was a TRUE cheese-a-holic before, and now I can just spread some Miso on a seed cracker or some vege and eat it to kill a cheese craving. Miso is even more pungent and salty than cheese!

Another trick is anticipation! If you truly look forward to your food and have it pre-prepped, you can win this battle. I love the spicy walnut taco “meat”. I also love cucumber/tahini soup w/ lemon and garlic or avocaco/cilantro soup. These take minutes in the blender and I use warm water, so I’m eating something soooo good that I don’t miss frozen food at all.

Besides, it is an extreme rarity that the conventional food tastes as good as it smells or as good as we remember it tasting. I find the opposite to be true with my raw 5-minute gourmet recipes!!!