Too much oil in recipes

Has anyone noticed the excessive amounts of certain ingredients are included in some un-cookbooks? Particularly olive oil, certain spices, garlic and agave. When first became interested in being raw, I made dishes from “Rawvolution” and some from Carol Alt’s book (recipes from restaurants like Quintessence, etc.). Now I know enough to alter the recipes so they’re not too oily, garlicky or sweet. Why the excess of ingredients in these recipes? Are the authors trying to make raw appealing to those coming over from the SAD? I have found a much better ratio of ingredients in the recipes on this website, and am so glad to find such creative un-cooks. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Same with Juliano’s book RAW. He way overdoes it on certain ingredients, in addition to the fact that he gives NO warning about the multitude of non-Raw ingredients he includes. I’m not completely Raw, but I don’t think it’s asking too much that he indicate that for those who aren’t sure what’s Raw. He uses lots of maple syrup, example. To end this little rant, some of recipes have been great, but others have required a lot of tweaking because the proportions were screwy.

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Agree – certainly re too much oil and too much garlic. I used to love garlic, but have liked it less since going raw, and always halve the amount suggested, if including it at all. Rawcuisine recipes in general are often, in my view, over-complex. I’d like to see more with shorter lists of ingredients. And, yes, the non-raw thing…I’ve posted about this many times before, but all I’d ask for is a little asterisk beside the non-raw ingredients for those new to raw. I’d also love to see a cookbook of genuinely raw recipes.

• I just had to reply to this topic, because I made a recipe tonight that called for olive oil, garlic and nama shoyu and I was SO QUEASY for 3 hours after. I still don’t feel quite right. It was awful and I had to throw it out after a few bites. I had an instant negative reaction to it. And this is only after being about 70% raw for one week! This was my first try at making something “entree-ish” after eating fruits, nuts, veggies, and green smoothies.I am wary now of recipes that call for much of these ingredients. They just didn’t feel right in my body and the flavors tasted foreign…This is SUCH an interesting thing. I salivated over this recipe for days, too, and couldn’t wait to make it. Live and learn :)