how corny

hey guys, i have no idea what to think about corn…. juliano says they are dissacharides or something and the starch is toxic to the body but seeing as alota recipes have corn in them, some extremely yummy ones… and the raw fooders eating them look mighty healthy…gulp a lil help here. i just ate sweetcorn…& dont know if i shudve been warned.

Comments

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

I’m no expert but it is my understanding that raw corn does not digest as a starch-y food. This is info that I gathered from the food combining principals school of thought. If true I don’t think its a bad thing. I have a super wacky digestive system and I can eat raw corn but not cooked. Hope this helps some.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

marichesa me too, i can eat raw corn but not cooked! how funny! i had better luck with corn on the barbeq pre raw i wouldnt roast it long though, then a squeeze of lime and it was heaven!!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Hi ilikenuts, saying something is a “dissacharides” just means that it contains sugars that are made up of more than one sugar molecule (also known as a complex carbohydrate). Eg. Table sugar (Sucrose) is a dissacharide that is made up of a molecule of Fructose and Glucose. For the body to use this sugar, it has to break it down to its single sugar components (building blocks). There is a huge emerging body of research in the area of sugars called Glycomics (Glycobiology, Carbohydrates). This area can be considered an additional essential nutrient group to Amino Acids (Proteins), Fatty Acids, and Vitamin and Minerals. Can you give a link to the info you referenced from juliano to see what was said? What corn has been show to do is that it triggers the body to create a “medium” level of insulin production (see Glycemic Index for more info on insulin production) which is tied to fat storage, energy levels, and other health related issues. To much info? :-| BTW, I’ve started to look at info like the above as “models” and not on “absolute fact” or “truth”. The reason for this is that as our knowledge expands on how things “work” (or don’t work), we create new “models” to better describe and predict the complexities of what we call “life”. I find it interesting how what is accepted as today’s “fact” can then turn into yesterday’s heresy, what is today’s heresy, becomes tomorrow’s “fact”. Confusing!!!!

• I just want to add that corn is one of the most heavily sprayed crops in the US, along with peanuts. Make sure it is organic/pesticide-free.

• Hey bluedolfin, wow you really considered all the factors are you a doctor or somewhat of a nutritionist? :) i dont know i just heard juliano saying it on youtube.com, just type in juliano. he talks about how some foods are toxic. He doesnt eat :bananas, corn, carrots, etc. which is totally hypocritical because some of those ingredients happen to be on his menu. are these raw chefs trying to toxicate us with nama shoyu, miso and stuff? i think you’re right, in the end its about what works for you that defines what the facts are for yourself. maybe different people have different facts. we shouldnt be so influenced by what others say, sigh, we can’t help it though. my stomach seems really bloated this morning though, maybe it is the grapes i ate after dinner. hi gypsy, i had japanese sweetcorn, is that heavily sprayed? dont take malaysian crops, they are sprayed…heavily.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

in “rainbow green live food cuisine” gabriel cousens lists corn, along with other grains (not including buckwheat and quinoa) as creating fungus between the cells. cashews (not raw) also go this, as do peanuts.

honestly, there is SO much information out there. go with your gut. corn makes me ill, but apparently not marichiesa, so there you go. =)

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

tyvm ilikenuts~ I work with products that are the “sugar” technology so I have a “focused” knowledge in that area. :-)

I watched juliano’s Raw vid on youtube. He mentioned “toxic” a few times, by not anything specific besides cooked and/or junk food… I didn’t hear anything about saccharides in that vid… Looking at research or seeing an aspect of the research doesn’t tell the “whole” story. That is why one researcher says something works and another says the opposite. Many times they aren’t using the same “stuff” like the same variety of a plant, using the same preparations, etc… not to mention “vested interests”... I invite you to keep an open and discerning mind to info, see what works for you. When we give the body what it needs, it fixes itself… just listen.

As for corn… I could live on corn especially (hardcore rawists pls skip the next few words) roasted/bbq’d corn. As of right now, I haven’t noticed any adverse effects. I understand some people have a hard time “passing” corn and it can get “stuck” in the intestines. I also understand that there seems to some type of link of increased symptoms for a person who has been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and corn consumption.

Literally… food for thought. ;-)