Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Buckwheat sprouts?

I’m making a recipe that calls for buckwheat sprouts and I have no idea what to do. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Do I buy groats and soak and then what in and etc. I’m a bit confused. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Hi yammygirl~ A good resource for sprouting is http://www.sproutpeople.com/.

• I was confused about sprouting too before I ever did it. Now I sprout stuff all the time. First of all, there is a really good link www.sproutpeople.com – all the sprouting info you could ever want!

For buckwheat, I usually soak them in a bowl of water for 6-8 hours, then in a collander rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse. The soak water becomes really thick and starchy, so you want to keep rinsing until the water comes clear.

Some people talk about using a jar with cheesecloth, and I have not tried that method myself. Once rinsed, I will either keep the buckwheat in a collander or a salad spinner (depending on how big the salad spinner holes are so the buckwheat doesn’t fall through) covered/out of direct sunlight. Rinse 2-3 times a day, and in 24 hours you have buckwheat sprouts!! Once they are done sprouting rinse rinse rinse before you use them. If you aren’t going to use them right away, you can refrigerate them in a sealed container until you are ready, but rinse them again before you use them.

• How funny…. I guess dolphin lovers also love sproutpeople.com!!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

eee eee eeee lol n Renoir~ I probably got the site reference from you in a previous post. :-)

• Wow, this is such a great site! Renoir and Bluedolphin thank you. I’m heading to the sproutpeople site right now. Learning a new technique will help to keep me raw by giving me more options. Thanks.

• I sprout 4 cups of Buckwheat Groats every week or 2 and dehydrate them to make Buckwheaties. You only have to soak them for 15-20 minutes. They’ll grow tails a bit longer then their bodies in 1-3 days, depending on the ambient air temp. RINSE them a TON. I do it 2-3 times per day while growing, and decidedly well the last time. I soak them in a bowl, then put them in a colander and set the colander in the bowl or on a plate (this keeps the counter dry). I cover it with a plate to keep out dust, dog hair, etc. The rinsing is easy since they’re already in a colander. If they get a bit fuzzy, spray them with hydrogen peroxide and rinse again. You can use them fresh, refridgerate in a jar or dehydrate. The dried ones can be seasoned for a snack, or ground for a flour, or used as a cereal – YUM.

• Thanks for the link! I bought an easy sprouter and a pound of seeds! =D

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I soak the groats in a jar, pour them into a large colander, rinse until the water is clear, put the colander over a large bowl and cover with a damp towel. I rinse a couple of times a day and leave them for about two days to sprout. This method is very easy. Sometimes I put GSE (grapefruit seed extract) in the soak water to keep them from getting moldy. The weather has a lot to do with this as it tends to grow mold when it’s hot.

• StefunkStefunk Raw Newbie

Okay, mine have been sprouting a day and they smell horrible! Should I toss them and start again or can I save them? I have rinsed three times today hoping to get rid of the smell.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Toss them they’re bad. Don’t let them get too soggy, warm or go too long! I soak mine fo maybe just an hour, then sit them in a sieve for 24 hours, and do not rinse at all, and they are always good.

• StefunkStefunk Raw Newbie

Thank you Zoe. I will try again!