My six month old is teething ...

Any ideas of what I can give him? His grandfather wants to buy him unhealthy processed teething biscuits (organic, yes; vegan, no; raw definitely not). I said no, but his father is pushing it. I’m putting my foot down because I’m raising my son to view food as nourishment not a drug. So far he likes to chew on celery, broccoli stalks and red pepper slices.

Comments

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

frozen banana is good (but you have to watch for any chunks that he might knaw off as a potential choking hazard if it’s too frozen) and also just a cold, damp cloth. hope this helps – good luck!

• Frozen banana is a great idea! Thank you!

• We used to give our guy flax crackers made of flax that was ground up to chew on and a damp cloth put in the freezer for a bit.

• I found a recipe for Apricot Flax Teething Biscuits (from Gabriel Cousens Rainbow Live Food):

2 cups flax seeds
    1 cup dried apricot
    1 cup fresh young coconut water

Mix and dehydrate

Hopefully my little guy likes them (if not I’m sure I will!) ...

• Karmyngirl, there are also mesh bags you can place food into (actually designed for kids who have feeding difficulties where there is risk of choking). Your baby could chew on whatever you put into it without risk of having it break into pieces in his mouth. There are several feeding websites out there that sell them, but can’t remember them off hand. I’m pretty sure something will come up if you do a google search. I also believe they have them at “Babies R Us.”

• I bought the mesh bags. They’re called Baby Safe Feeder I think. Unfortunately Andrew didn’t particularly care for them. :(

• lulut0529lulut0529 Raw Newbie
    Yes I take bananas slice into small circles add peanut butter and make tiny banana sandwiches, place them on wax paper and freeze, they keep for about a week (frost bite sets in) but I just pull them out 4,5 at a time and give them to my daughter she loves them and they stay cold on her gums. I've also made them with avocado, fruits, etc. get creative! You can also cut it into smaller pieces if you're worried about size. Also Hylands Baby products are all natural, the teething tablets are a godsend! Try them, all natural and they work. The gas drops are also amazing.
  • lulut0529lulut0529 Raw Newbie
    I didn't like the mesh bags bc once the food melts it's a nightmare to clean the mesh. But it's def worth a try I found them at marshalls and babies r us. Also I make silicone beaded pacifier clips, I started making them so my daughter could chew on it and I could keep it clean. Silicone teethers are great, I would never waste money on that stupid 30 dollar Sophie again. www.etsy.com/shop/LuluandLettie Good luck mama! Just remember you can freeze almost any liquid or food just get creative, I find new ideas on Pinterest too :)