Finding a good doctor

Can anyone recommend a good doctor to go to in the Dallas Texas area? I have some issues going on with my health and am in need for a good doctor…. one who will listen and not try to start me on a bunch of different medications. I am very sensitive to medicine and would much rather find a naturopathic doctor. any advice?

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I was just about to ask and post if anyone knows of doctors that practices natural remedies! I was just curious if there are doctors (real medical doctors) that do that and what states/cities they are in.

I know of four medical doctors (in NJ, VA, WA, OK) who also practice natural remedies. Some even promote a juicing/raw food lifestyle. It’s nice to know there are people like this one can go to.

Sorry, I don’t know anyone in the Dallas area.

• I’d like to know if any of the “special” doctors are associated with the big HMOs. I have a regular internist, because I thought that the naturopaths wouldn’t be covered. Please let me know if anyone has found success with this under an HMO plan.

These doctors are not naturopaths. At least, they don’t call themselves that. I do not know if they are associated with HMOs… but, I do know that there are insurance companies that do cover visits to these kinds of doctors. I know of Christian Care Medi Share and Sure Care. They are not your typical insurance companies… but rather a way to share insurance costs.

Oh yeah, I forgot… I know of another medical doctor who practices natural remedies at a mission in Colorado. Eden Valley. When I was, there… most every patient/client there had their service covered by Christian Care Medi Share. www.medi-share.org The only thing is, I have been to The Wilderness Mission in Massachusettes (non-doctors) and they are not covered by anything, but their cleanse is more intense than Eden Valley mission. The MA mission costs less too… the 10-day cleanse is less than $3K. I think it was $2300 or $2600… and that includes your meals and place to sleep. Both places have a raw food class as well… Eden Valley has cooked vegan food. And, The Wilderness Mission serves only raw with maybe one vegan cooked dish… and that’s for certain people – it depends on your program.

Most of the places I know for cleanses are run by Christians. And I don’t know too much about their raw food emphasis (other than Eden Valley and Wilderness Mission). But, one in particulary was in Washington – someone told me about it. They went through Dr. Im’s program… and were on raw foods!

• Do any of you go to a doctor?

• I don’t go to a doctor, and I don’t plan to but… in case I need to for whatever reason… (Also my mom is bugging me to get me to go.. blech.)

Germin8—I’m in NJ!! What doctor here do you know?

Katie, sorry for the delay in writing. I had to find a paper with some info. I met the person who told me about the NJ doctor about 5 years ago. I lost contact with her… but I clearly remember she sent me the doctor’s website. But, I don’t have the website. However, the person who told me about him does live in Dunellen, NJ… so the doctor would be around that area.

• Thanks :D! No worries about the delay, I’m not going anytime soon (hopefully…) But I’ll definitely check that out :)

• Hi Dnacol and everyone – an easy way to find an ND is to go to the national website www.naturopathic.org and look for an ND in your area under the “find an ND” section. This site represents ND’s who have graduated from a 4 year doctoral program and are licensed (or licensable in unlicensed states) to practice naturopathic medicine. Don’t be fooled by mail order grads who call themselves naturopaths. They generally don’t have the education or clinical experience to treat patients effectively, although I know that there are a few exceptions to this rule. I don’t mean to offend anyone, its just that “naturopathic” can be a gray area at times.