Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Ugly duckling

A few people have been criticising me about my weight. Or lack of. I feel rather self conscious about it (and admittedly I am rather skinny.) They rudely start asking what I weigh and what I eat. They then launch into a tirade of ‘shoulds’ and ‘In my opinion’. I am very happy eating raw – it just fits with me.

Calorie wise I have no idea what I am taking in. I just eat when I am hungry.

On a daily basis I am typically consuming:

*1/2 an avocado *1 serve of goji berries *Loads of dark leafy greens *A banana *Mixed seeds *Sea vegetables *1 cup of sprouted beans/pulses/grains more or less *Various fresh fruits *Various fresh vegetables *Young coconut

And whatever else I feel like.

Your thoughts and or idea’s would be very appreciated.

Comments

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Radishman, how do the people who are criticising you look? Are they a teensy bit overweight themselves? Even if they’re slim, do they have a bit of flab around the middle? Are they in optimum health? Sadly, their comments may be due to defensiveness. If they look great themselves, could it possibly be that they’re a bit worried that you might start looking as good as they do? (I’ve had that one!) It’s my firm belief that, after some time on a high-raw diet, if you’re eating all you like, and eating when you’re hungry (and even when you’re not hungry!), whatever weight you’ve reached THAT’S ‘your ideal weight’. Forget weight charts – they’re based on a nation of unhealthy people (think Shazzie (I’m in the UK) said that first!). If you’re slim, and raw has made you slimmer, whatever weight you shifted, your body NEEDED to get rid of that stuff. I’d also strongly recommend, if you haven’t found him already, googling ‘Matthew Monarch’ and reading his books. Matthew/Matt has been raw for eight years now – he’s a living inspiration (I’ve seen him talk), such a happy, healthy, person. He also had to go through the ‘you’re too skinny’ comments, and, actually, you two look a little similar!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I keep seeing raw men who work out having amazing results. Take a look on www.welikeitraw.com there are some photos of some raw muscle men on there. I don’t think you have to do that by any means, it is just an option and interesting to see what men can do with their bodies even when they are raw. You look fine to me. I have had boyfriends who were skinnier than you who weren’t even vegetarian!

Looking at your daily food you list I see you don’t eat any nuts apart from coconut. Have you tried making nut pate and putting it on leuttice with some tomatoes and sprouts as a sandwich? Or a fruit pie with a nut and date base?

• itouristitourist Raw Newbie

If you are not hungry and your weight falls within normal guidelines (raw vegans are heavier than they look—young well functioning tissues and organs), then I guess you are o.k. I heard at a lady study nutrition at a raw workshop mention that people are able to absorb more nutrients from their food if they consume a vegetable oil with their food. I presume virgin coconut oil and virgin olive oil meet that definition.

You could take coconut oil to help you get more punch from the food dollars you are spending.

• I am struggling over this one too. What is too much or too little? In the end I think we need to stop listening to what “people’ tell us is too skinny or the right weight, and eat when we are hungry and when our body needs or wants more of our raw treats not feel bad about that either. I figure if I’m tired or my hair falls out or something then that would be the easiest way to tell if I need something else. So far, so good!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i don’t want to tell you what to eat or not. I just want to say that my husband struggles with this as well. since he is vegan he is used to it. we were at a party yesterday and a woman said to him “you need some ribs for your ribs”. He was like “i’m vegan”. She was a little chunky herself and for sure uncomfortable about what she was eating because she told me she didn’t want to eat the chicken on her plate but did anyway.

If you look at your height/weight are you underweight? Are your ribs visible? Those are the things I would wonder before trying to eat more for others’ perceptions of you.

ps: I find slender men attractive and you are quite handsome. You’re no ugly duckling.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

I do not struggle with weight. Used to. The thing is, you need to eat more fruits and veggies, more fats, organic and raw, and EXERCISE!! I work a lot, and RUN VERY FAST. Do work around the yard.

If you work more, you will build muscle.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Your clothes are on in the pic, so I can’t see how thin you are, but you look just fine to me! Like bitt above, I too find you handsome! Do what feels right for yourself and put others’ comments aside. If you start to feel weak or lacking, then you should re-examine things. Good luck!

• 1/2 an avocado Boy I really can’t eat 1/2 an avocado I usually eat 2. Try more avocado. I get the same nasty comments and questions.I suggest plugging you Height and weight into a BMI calculator to see if you are at a healthy weight.

• yes you look great..and agree with others on here that health is the most important thing..its working for you..me too :)