Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Traveling Raw

Tip 1: I have the Tribest personal blender. It’s very convenient for making smoothies and other blended concoctions on the road. My only problem with it is that it comes with several attachments and a large rectangular carrying case that does not fit in a rollaboard sized suitcase. Well, I was browsing through a kitchen store in Philly and found a solution: an insulated lunch bag. In case anyone else is interested, I also see that this bag is sold online. It allows me to carry the blender base and the large blender jar and blade assembly perfectly.

http://www.reusablebags.com/store/built-gourmet…

Tip 2: For longer trips, I have been checking a cooler box. It is a small styrofoam cooler inside a cardboard box. With just a couple of gel packs, my food stays cold or frozen for cross country air travel. I reuse the box which I got from Uline.com. Checking baggage slows me down but I have found it’s worth it in the time you save looking (often “fruitlessly”) for something I can actually eat. Now if I can just find a way to attach the box to the handles of my rolling suitcase, as it slides off the top on every bump!

Tip 3: If you are unable to use the hotel mini-bar to cool your items, most hotels have loaner refrigerators. They sometimes charge (up to $25 a day), but often do not. I use the fridge for my coolor box items or when I am lucky enough to travel to NYC, LA or SF, where there are raw restaurants where I can buy delicious raw food to go that will last a day or two.

If anyone else has travel tips, I’d love to see them. I find travel challenging, but it can be handled by planning ahead. This summer, business travel caused me to self-destruct and I am determined to do better!

Comments

• Superfoods! Powdered greens and Spirulina/Chlorella can be mixed up anywhere you can get water and a cup.

I love the Artisana Bliss foods. You can spread them on fruit or just eat them out of the jar for true decadence (this will also kill a candy craving in one bite!)

Pop in to a grocery store and get some green leafies, other veges and maybe some sprouts. Eat them – no dressing needed.

Speaking of sprouts, you can grow them on the road in just about any bowl or cup. Go for easy ones like buckwheat groats or quinoa. Take a sprouter bag along if you want. Just about any seed or nut that is soaked is more nutritious than the same one before soaking. Add vinegar and oil and chopped veges to sprouted quinoa and wrap in nori sheets for awesome portable meals.

Fruit is easy and obvious. So are dehydrated foods, such as yam chips, flax “crackers”. Sprouted and dried also goes in this category. Seasoned soaked (or sprouted) nuts or seeds give you something WONDERFUL to which to look forward.

Think SIMPLE. Eat single foods or extremely simple combos. Save the gourmet stuff for when you get home.

One really decadent fave is raw almond butter (I’ll have to find a replacement for that), agave, pine nuts and cacao nibs, all to taste. Tastes like choc-PB cookies with just the right crunch, and makes a fab treat.

A plastic gallon jug about 3/4 full of water and frozen makes a multi-day icepack for the cooler.

• PamPam

Yum! Like the choc-PB cookie recipe, Jenoz! And I hadn’t thought about Artisana Bliss. I just bought some.

Sounds like we do different types of travel, Jenoz. I have come to accept that it’s easier for me to eat mono meals and simple combos at home. Four days of air travel and dim hotel rooms leave me needing comfort. Hotel rooms also don’t lend themselves to preparing food. I usually take some lettuce and sliced tomato along in an airtight container. Even a salad is major work when you have to rinse things off in the kitchen sink and chop veggies on the counter. Talk about the wrong ambience! And, of course, you cannot take ice on a plane, nor can you easily find a grocery store in many major downtown cities.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I travel with my bullet blender, it's small, the jar is plastic and you can drink out of it. It was around $30 at Macys. It' does a pretty good job. Then I mix up premeasured bags with combinations of the following: raisins or dates, cacao, lucuma, maca, carob, mesquite, pinch of salt, few sunflower seeds. Then all I have to do is add water. If I can get a banana, then I'll add it or spinach, etc. But, if not, it's pretty good just like it is.

• kellyannekellyanne Raw Newbie

wow, this sounds really complicated :) if you travel in tropical places there will always be fruit around! no need to haul food or blenders.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Nice thought, Kelly. But we can't always be in an ideal situation. Your comments seem directed at fruitarians exclusively. This site is dedicated to "sharing raw, vegan recipes and advice". How about some practical suggestions for raw vegans who find themselves traveling, camping, hiking, etc.

sorry! i was just trying to make a point that was hopefully thought provoking.

we in the modern world just make things way more complicated than it needs to be. meanwhile we are using up nature's precious resources and polluting the earth. it just worries me to see so much consuming. things like kitchen tools, bottles and packets use a lot of resources and make a lot of waste. a lot of that stuff also later ends up in the trash and eventually into landfills. it's saddening. if we were in nature we would be using our instincts to eat what we are physiologically designed to eat. we not not be carrying around kitchen tools, etc.

i'm not trying to attack anyone, my goal is to just make people more aware and to think about everything we do and how everything we do has an impact.

here's an eco-friendly tip: if you need any kitchen tools or appliances check your local thrift store first or check on craigslist.org. recycling benefits everyone!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

if you just count on getting whatever is around it could be unhealthy and unripe. it pays to plan ahead. i just read an account of a fruitarian who went to an event with fruit that went bad, couldn't go to a supermarket, and ended up eating cooked food. a better plan would have been to pack something less perishable and stay raw if that is your goal.

and i NEVER let any of my old kitchen stuff go in the trash. it always goes to freecycle to someone who really needs it.

in nature we would not be online either, what's your answer to that?

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I am going on a trip where I'll be on a boat for a week. It's small, about 20 passengers, I did send info on my diet, but it is uncommon, so even with explanation they may not be prepared. So, I ordered a bunch of prepackaged foods, I usually don't eat them, but if my choice is cooked or prepackaged raw, I'll eat them. I ordered bars and nori wraps, some bread and crackers, cereal and a jar of nut butter. I will bring along some sunflower seeds and dried fruit. I decided on prepackaged because sometimes customs will confiscate food, but, I think prepackaged will be ok. I figure if all they have on the boat are bananas and iceberg lettuce, I can fill in with what I bring.

you're right, the computer is completely unnatural. i use it to help spread awareness. if i change something for one person than it's worth it. my computer is powered by clean energy anyways.

if food isn't around, we have plenty of stored energy to not eat for a day or more if it's necessary. eating nothing at all for a day or 2 is healthier than eating cooked food. i do understand how it can be good to plan ahead and bring fruit. it just depends where you are going.