To have a champion juicer or to not?

That is the question! Does anyone here know if they are worth it? I am growing my own wheatgfrass and microgreens as well as sprouts and was thinking it might be a great tool for juicing these things as well as homogenize anything else(I hear it makes great banana ‘ice cream’) But, does anyone know from experience if it foes a great job at juicing wheatgrass and sprouts? As well as leafy greens? I’m trying to decide if I should get this for the many options or just a cheaper wheatgrass juicer to save the money. Maybe buy a blender since mine broke. So, if anyone knows if these are awesome or not, let me know! Thanks! Peace~~

Comments

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

The Champion doesn’t do greens very well and will not juice wheat grass at all. You need another kind for that. Check these out: http://www.living-foods.com/marketplace/wheatgr…

Note that they sell the Green Star single- and twin-gear juicers, too. These are all purpose juicers than can handle greens including wheat grass, and all your other juices. However, they are made of plastic. A friend has one of these juicers and loves it, but I can always taste plastic in the juice she makes.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

Also, scroll down and look at all the parts for the Green Star. Not so much fun to clean and assemble that puppy.

I don’t do wheat grass juice now, I do green smoothies. When I was into WGJ I had the Champion for my regular juice and a hand juicer for WGJ. But juicing didn’t last long for me. It’s easier to throw stuff in my K-Tec and have green drinks that way.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Hi PapayaLove~ I’ve never heard that the Champion does banana ice cream. What did you hear about that?

I’ve never tried doing WG through mine, but I am hesitate to do that for fear of burning out the motor. WG is a pretty tough little booger.

BTW, the plastic in the juice thang… don’t think that is a good “feature.” Check out the thread on Vitamix being unhealthy to use. There is a whole, detailed discussion on outgassing from plastic (that is if you haven’t already been following that thread).

• Blue- I haven’t heard how, but you could try frozen bananas through the blank plate, or put the bananas through and then freeze them in a yogurt container w/lid or something for frozen banana ice cream cups :) Sounds good :) Could even add a little mylk to make it extra creamy probably… I think there is a recipe on here.

On the subject of plastic- I was thinking I would just keep with a blender and maybe get this new plastic/ lightweight wheatgrass juicer I saw on sproutpeople.com. I wonder if all plastic things let off those gasses?

• What’s a K-Tec?

Thankx PLove~ I usually throw bananas that are overripe for my taste in the freezer. Then when I want “ice cream”, I unwrap the frozen banana and pulverize it in the blender. I don’t even add anything to it, just straight banana. However, once it hits the plate, the fun begins… chocolate sauce, walnuts, spoon, inhale… all gone. :) I like a hot fudge sunday with bananas rather than the traditional banana split. I always peel the bananas before I freeze them. I tried freezing bananas in the peel.. bad idea… almost froze off my fingers trying to peel a frozen banana… that one is checked off the “stupid” list. :)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I’ve got a Champion, and I love it to bits. It is fab for juicing veggies and fruit, really fast and easy to use and clean. But I will be buying a Green Star at some point. The problem with the Champion is that it just does not do greens. And it does become a problem!

The banana ice cream is great, doesn’t need anything added just the bananas, I think you can do it in a food processor aswell.But it is just like Mr Whippy done in the champion.

Zoe~ Do you do something special to make the banana ice cream with your Champion?

I also have made the banana ice cream with one of those one prong emulsifiers like Braum makes. Just put the frozen banana in the tall cup that somes with it or someone other tall cup and bounce the emulsifier a few times to pulverize it. Less cleanup than blender.

I’m scared to ask… What’s Mr Whippy? lol

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Nope nothing special, just peel bananas, freeze them and then push through Champion with the blank plate on. It is perfect.

You don’t know what Mr Whippy is?! Wow, I guess you Americans have really missed out there. It is the ice cream that you get from an ice cream van. It goes into a cone like a white dog turd,except very soft and creamy then you stick a Cadbury’s flake in it. I used to work in an ice cream van. Once I couldn’t stop the Mr Whippy coming out the machine and covered the inside of the van with ice cream. It was hilarious!

• I have a champion as well. I do juice my leafy greens and can get 2 glasses before it warms up.I have also cut up wheatgrass and juiced enough to get an ounce. The most I want to drink. I am not into wheatgrass. If you want to do just the wheatgrass you will be better of getting a cheaper wheatgrass thing. I just wrote my newsletter on Green Juice.YOu can find the newsletter at www.loverawfood.com Natalia Rose recommends Breville, Dr Mercola recommends the Omega Juicer. Both of them are reasonable.

You can also put Wheatgrass in the Vitamix.

Your choice depends on what you will be using the juicer and/or blender most for.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

The reason I stay away from Breville is it is centrifuge I believe (don’t know about the others) and this can cause your juice to oxidize quickly. You have to drink it within about 15 minutes of juicing.

The GreenStar is the true Rock Star of juicers since it does the wheatgrass and the twin gears gently extract the juice. Studies show that juice from a GreenStar can last over a day without much oxidation (up to three days!)....PLUS…the centrifuge juicers don’t extract as much juice as the GreenStar, The GreenStar rocks because it extracts so much juice that your pulp is super dry…which is great to eat on top of salads or use in crackers or feed to bunnies :) This means over time you actually use less produce because you get so much juice extracted.

GreenStar isn’t hard to clean or assemble, takes about a minute or less to assemble and minutes to clean….maybe 5? 6 minutes? If you juice enough for a few servings, you can store the juice and not have to use it every day which makes things easier. I also write about the greatness of having a FoodSaver for things like this as well. (Check out my blog for details about that…might have been in Sept or Aug postings)

I make my frozen banana ice cream in a food processor or my blender – depending on the quantity.

Cheers to you! Kristen Suzanne

www.KristensRaw.com

www.KristensRaw.blogspot.com

• We have a Green Star and I LOVE it!! The juice tastes great and I don’t find the clean up nearly as time consuming and tedious as it was with the cheap centrifuge type. Most of the cleaning is on the screen and it works much easier if you brush from the inside of the screen under running water. Clean up takes maybe ten minutes. We juice for the whole day and put them in jars that are the right size, filled to the top! I’ve made almond butter, seed pates and bread sticks made from seeds. I’ve never had so much fun!!! :)

• I too have frozen the banana peel and all….

Thanks for all the responses guys!

!tears rolling down my face! That was very descriptive Zoe. lol Us yanks call that soft serve ice cream but we don’t get the Cadbury flake on top.

BTW, another way I make the banana ice cream is to put the frozen banana in a tall cup and pulverize it with an immulsifier (you know, the one prong beater thang like what Braum makes). Easier to clean than a blender.