Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sugar Addict

kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

ok confession to make, as much as I try to be raw I find myself still indulging in some candy on an almost daily basis. I think I rationalize to myself that I’ve let go of coffee, meat, and so many other things that a few chocolate balls or mini candy bars a day isn’t bad. With Halloween there was so much more candy around the office than usual that over the last two weeks I’ve eaten way too much each day. want to end this candy addiction for good. Any tips?

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

well, you can make some raw chocolate version of what you are talking about, but that would only be a band-aid solution.

do you eat enough leafy greens and veggies? i find i crave sugar when i am not getting enough veggies… could be lack of protein. vegans need to eat vegetables (it’s even built into the name) =)

• In addition to what pianissima wrote, also practice mindful eating. I’d recommend substituting candies with raisins/dates. It’s good to soak them before eating. I soak a fistful of raisins or 3 medjool dates in about 100ml of water before leaving to work and have them upon returning. This way I keep myself in check, but still once in a while (atleast not daily) I can’t resist a cookie or a piece of cake. Snack on an apple or any other sweet fruit as mid afternoon snack while at work.

• Making the raw truffles or donut holes from this site have really helped with my sweet tooth. I know it is hard at the office or somewhere that others are providing the foods you are trying to avoid. I find it is much easier at home if I just don’t keep that stuff around the house. Instead, I will make healthy raw snacks and treats to keep around so that if I really feel like I need something sweet, I can indulge in a healthy way :)

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

kminty3,

a sweet tooth is the easiest thing to satisfy on raw. There are tons of amazing recipes for pies, cakes, candies, all raw, all made with the good stuff. You can really go wild with it.

The trick is to plan and prepare. Find a few raw sweets with at least as high attraction value as the chocolate balls, etc. If you plan ahead and have them on hand, I think you’ll beat the problem.

• I’m also a sugar addict. So making these raw sweet treats even backfires for me. I make them and then overeat. What really works for me are the green smoothies but adding more fruit than greens, as long as i’m full on that i don’t crave the sweets.

• Yeah, I agree with spanky- too many sweets, even raw ones are high in sugar and fat, but good ones :) Mindful eating combined with good fruit and smoothies does it for me(usually) and I know this isn’t totally raw, but teas help as well- depending on the flavors your going for. There are some really great recipes on here for desert-like drinks too. Good luck! PS- If you do eat some sweets enjoy them to the fullest, be in the moment with it. You’ll enjoy it more and probably be satisfied with less :)

• ZaZa Raw Newbie

Eat fruit! Lots of it! Your favorite kind! From morning until you start craving something green. Then go for the greens. You will not need the candies. Unless it’s a psychological addiction, in which case, I have no idea what to recommend. Good luck!