Scallions...

I have some to use up and can’t find a simple recipe to use them in. Do you guys have any suggestions? Can they be frozen?

Comments

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Hi Si~ This weekend, I’m trying this recipe from Zoe: http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/1619-Cheese-with…. Enjoy!

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I just posted a crab cake recipe which uses 2 scallions.

Raw~ The recipe looks great! It’s on the “gonna try” list.

Si~ Another thing to do with the scallions, any that you don’t want to use right away, chop up and dehydrate for later use. :-)

• I use scallions in sushi rolls.

Put cauliflower in the food processor. Spread on nori rolls as “mock rice,” leaving the top 1.5 inches empty (for the final seal). Then put scallions inside (plus whatever else you have—i.e. carrots, sprouts, celery). Roll up & slice & then top with some hemp seeds. Anyway, that’s how I do it, but have fun & create it in your own way. That’s the joy of “not” cooking!

Ron~ Do you use a rice vinigar on the cauliflower or something else that makes sushi soooo good? I’m not sure if vinigar is “raw”... I have seen cauliflower or coconut used as a rice substitute, but somehow I’m hesitant to try it. Is it really a substitute or simply someone that is white and graining and is unique onto itself?

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

scallions work REALLy well is a salad dressing too. i like them in salad even. the best part is that for some reason they are really easy to find organic. go figure.

• bluedolfin – we should probably start a separate sushi thread, since there’s so much to discuss! But I’ll say a few things here, before I run out of the house.

I just bought 200 sheets of untoasted nori, so I’ve been experimenting. I tried cauliflower, sweet potatoes, and jicama for the “rice” base. I imagine that lots of other things could work too! I haven’t tried rice vinegar, but some apple cider vinegars are indeed raw (not sure of taste). I also found real wasabi, without any food colorings.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

I make green soup with all greens (kale,lettuce,scallions….) 1/2 avocado,dill,rosemary,hymalaian salt,dulse,kelp,and anything else that you want to add on the blender such as bragg aminos. I really enjoy it.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

I make green soup with all greens (kale,lettuce,scallions….) 1/2 avocado,dill,rosemary,hymalaian salt,dulse,kelp,and anything else that you want to add in the blender such as bragg aminos. I really enjoy it.

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

YUM I love scallions, I put them in my salads and use them in place of onion.

For those that want to talk “sushi”, goto the thread “Everything you ever wanted to know about sushi” in the Food Preparation Forum. See ya there…