Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

raw approved vegan non harmful beauty products?!

heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I would like some recommendations on beauty products that arefree of bad bad bad chemicals. More specifically a good facial and ESPECIALLY good body moisturizers. I’ve been researching more and more and I’m on a lotion boycott til I find a safe one to use! Suggestions PLEASE!!

Comments

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

I really really like coconut oil as a moisturizer! Also check out www.sunfood.com for additional beauty products that are free from all the bad stuff.

Blessings! Vaughn

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I will check it out, thanks for your reply!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

since going raw i haven’t bought any “beauty products.” reading the thread on shampoo made me think about converting to water rinses. i use sea salt to brush my teeth mostly, and coconut butter rubbed into the gums as an anti-bacterial. what else? i find i don’t need moisturizer much anymore, but olive oil or coconut butter are great for skin and hair.

using products from the kitchen cuts expenses significantly i find.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

oh, the best “moisturizer” isn’t one at all by the way. honey restores water back into the skin (not oil which makes the skin weak i read). use viscous or liquid (not hard) honey on you face. tap tap with fingers. it feels really good, like you are typing on your face… nice massage. rinse. bee moisturized.

i know, i know, honey is NOT vegan… i’m still not convinced that it isn’t, but that was a thread a while ago…

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

Just found this, very interesting: http://www.sunfood.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb…

I may try avocado oil instead, my skin gets really dry in the winter

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

raw gaia do raw vegan beauty products: http://www.rawgaia.com

• I use coconut oil too. And you can buy small travel containers (i.e at hiking/camping stores), and keep some in the office, car, etc.

• I feel you Pianissima.. i started using homemade beeswax and almond oil.. works great.. but i would love to venture from the beeswax. any suggestions?

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Instead of beeswax – coconut butter or cacao butter, mmmmmmakes you smell like you should be eaten alive too !

I also love avocado skins rubbed on me, and mango stones, and walnut or almond paste exfoliation.

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

Any suggestions in terms of make-up?

• My mom uses olive oil as a moisturizer on her face, body, hair… everywhere.

• i haven’t used face moisturizer really at all since i started making my own scrub: 2 cups organic granulated sugar, 1/4 cup raw honey, and enough raw apple cider vinegar to make it “scrubby”

i mix it in a jar and leave it in the shower. i’ve never had it go bad, probably because it usually all gets used first. it’s awesome before a shave, and you can use it as a mask, too. the sugar keeps the honey from beading up on your skin.

i once bought a raw-vegan moisturizer from a store called “live live” when i lived in nyc…it was good, but it left my skin sort of sticky-ish and i think it was like $50.00 for 1 1/2 ounces. i tried it under makeup (being a makeup artist) and it sucked. coconut oil or olive oil are really the best things for overly-dry skin i think.

hey kundalalita-makeup is a tough one! i try to stick to cruelty-free, like urban decay, and leave it at that. dr. hauschka seems to be pretty good, but i don’t know how “natural” it actually is. natural makeup is generally pretty sucky in my opinion- i’d opt for nothing first! lol

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

kundalalita – for makeup, you might want to check out mineral makeup – it is apparently all natural and made from minerals. I haven’t tried it yet myself as I don’t wear any “everyday” sort of makeup but I found out about it this Halloween, right after, I bought some yucky unreturnable Halloween makeup.

For next Halloween, I plan on getting some mineral makeup. I found some on ebay that come in all sorts of colors that would be great for Halloween – it is also comes in natural colors too that is for everyday women’s makeup.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I got some Jane Irdale mineral make up. It is a powder made of 100% mineral pigment. When you put it on your face it shimmers and looks like real glowing skin because it is made out of all natural ground up minerals. All other make up have fillers and much less pigment. They can’t reflect the light off you , and also poison you with their additives. The 100%mineral pigment make ups are actually good for your skin, you don’t have to wash it off. They use them on films, TV and fashion and beauty shoots. They are amazing for covering up acne or other scars, and wrinkles. A little goes a long way so it is not as expensive as it seems. You have to apply it in thin layers, although I just mix it with olive oil to make a tinted moisturiser, and put on a couple of thin layers of that if I am going out dressed up.

• oh, DUH! mineral makeup! sorry, i didn’t even think about that! it makes my skin really dry, but i know that’s just me because EVERYONE swears by it…i’ll have to look at the cruelty-free-ness of it, but BareMinerals seems to be the most highly recommended…their powder shadows are off the hook. they even make pencils and mascara now.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Here’s something I just saw, her products look good…she says she will make your stuff up raw vegan if you ask her to!

http://www.flowrdup.co.uk/

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I’m a fan of www.labelladonna.com because it has very few ingredients. I think BareMinerals has lots of ingredients???...I could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere. Cheers!

• you’re probably right, kristensraw…it comes from a big company, so it wouldn’t surprise me. it’s marketed as being ‘purer’, whatever that means! lol i’m going to check out the other options…thanks for the link!

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

ooh, i like what labelladonna.com has, thanks for the link! ... but too bad even an eye pencil is like $20!

Thanks Zoe for the description, I think it sounds worth it! would be nice to be able to not worry but feel good about my skin absorbing the makeup.

• Facials: Clay masks or avocado mixed with ground sesame seeds. Toner of diluted ACV. Facial cleansing: Oil followed by a steaming wash cloth. Mineral makeup!! I love Meow mineral makeup. www.meowcosmetics.com Moisturizers: Jojoba is my favorite, but I also love coconut and sesame. Aprcot kernel oil is also nice.

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I like to use tea trea oil for my face, because it tends to be drying I add a little coco butter to my face. I usually use shea butter or coconut oil for lotion. I also use the coconut oil in my hair. I use vinegar to rinse my hair. I heard about a paste with chickpea flour, tumeric, and almond oil is suppose to be good as a mask for acne I have not tried it yet. I believe someone mentioned before using the mango seed as a scrub. lemon is good to lighten the hair a tad. I used to use olive oil for my hair and liked it but I started using the coconut oil. Jojoba oil is a great moisterizer. Carrot oil is hard to find but when I did have it, I liked it for my hair. Papaya is a great facial wash but I like to consume it for tummy aches. If you don’t like to be too oily then the coconut oil is the best, it is light and the body absorbs it quickly compared to the others.