being raw and pre-diabetic

NuttgirlNuttgirl Raw Newbie

For those of you who are either pre-diabetic or diabetic do you do anything special when eating raw? Are there certain foods you just avoid?

As stated in one of my previous posts diabetes and high blood pressure runs in my family. I do not have diabetes but my sugar count is slightly high. I’m just wondering if I need to watch out for anything so it doesn’t turn into full diabetes. I love being raw and don’t want to give up eating fruits or other high gylcemic foods like carrots or bananas. Any info is appreciated.

Comments

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Hi Nuttgirl~ Check out the Glycemic Index. The Glycemic Index separates foods by the body’s insulin response to foods. To “normalize” your blood sugar, you want to keep your blood sugar as constant a level as possible. The GI catagorizes food by low (little to no reaction), medium (more reaction), high (wacko time). The GI is a good guideline but use your body to tell you what’s right for you.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i find that with raw food, fresh juices don’t effect me as much as bottled juice. but obviously orange, mango and pineapple have high sugar content. nuts and greens are metabolized slowly, and they are low in sugar. i’m a type 1 diabetic, so i was taught to carb count to know how much insulin to take. obviously you shouldn’t over indulge in sweet fruit, but consider carbs too.