Freezing dehydrated food

I have made a few recipes lately that make more than I can eat. I put leftovers (seedburgers, onion bread, and such) in vacuum sealed bags and froze them. Has anyone done this before, did the food taste o.k. when defrosted?

Comments

• I suppose it all depends on how much the foods were dehydrated. If they are completely dry (no water at all) then you probably don’t need to freeze the food. It is the water content that causes spoilage. I have kept nuts in the freezer before and they turned out ok, probably your foods will be fine.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I freeze those kinds of things all the time and they’re GREAT when you take them out and thaw. For pates and burgers there are times that I stick them in the dehydrator after they thaw depending on what kind of texture and temperature I want to eat them.

For breads and crackers, they’re perfect just the way they come out of the freezer and thaw in a very short time.

For desserts, depends on the dessert, but brownies, cookies, etc can almost be eaten right after coming out of the freezer. Things like pie, cheesecake, etc need to thaw.

Kristen Suzanne

• Thank you both for your replies. My job requires me to be on the road for days, if not a week at a time, several times a month. Freezing premade meals is the only way I see I can stay raw on the road. P.S. Kristen, I saw your Thanksgiving Diner was full on the 14th, I would love to attend, do you know of any cancelations or no-shows so I could get in? Thanks.

Hi Soulfulwind….They have a waiting list, so it’s worth calling the restaurant and putting your name on it. The Mandala Tearoom 480-423-3411. Cheers!

Hi again, Soulfulwind, we decided to open up seating on the patio for the raw dinner night because of the long waiting list. You might be able to get in now :)

Cheers!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

SocaL… do you mean you froze germinated nuts? Or did they still have their enzyme inhibitors? I can see how the latter would freeze well.

Not sure about nutrients or enzymes in frozen germinated nuts though. I find freezing to be “okay” for us. We do lose some enzymes in the process… just not sure what percentage (for each food).