What is a half smidgen?

germin8germin8 Raw Master

A very basic question…
The Pumpkin Bread recipe located here and here calls for half smidgen of salt and half teaspoon smidgen of salt, respectively.

How much is a smidgen? How much is a pinch?

We tried a pinch, but it wasn’t quite right. It seems I can’t just taste this recipe to find out if it needs more salt… since it requires dehydration and it tastes different afterward since the flavors concentrate after dehydration. Too late by then. We’re adding more next time… but, I still wanted to get an idea of what people think “smidgen” is. And “pinch” too.

Comments

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

I have been tempted to buy measuring spoons at Bed, Bath, and Beyond that actually have the measurements of smidgen, pinch, and others. You might want to check them out. They obviously would be helpful when preparing recipes that call for those measurements.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I actually have measuring spoons that are for a smidgen, pinch, dash or tad. Ha ha! I thought they were cute which is why I bought them. I normally don’t use them though. The Tad is the largest one and the smidgen the smallest.

The smidgen one is a pretty small – the pinch is a little bigger than the smidgen – I would say the smidge might be close to a 1/16 teaspoon – I have a 1/4 teaspoon – the tad is the same size as it.

The dash is the next biggest size to the tad and than the pinch and the smidgen. I would say the smidgen could be the most you could pick up between your thumb and your finger.

I normally wing those sorts of measurments because I always end up thinking it needs more flavor.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Thanks so much! I thought a pinch was smaller than a smidgen… I guess I was wrong.

Thanks for the “measurement approximations”... helpful. :o)