Questions

shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

Hello,

I just started out on a Raw Food diet and have been doing as much research as I can. I have a few questions that I haven’t been able to find answers to yet, so if you could help me out, that would be great!

1. How much do I need to worry about my PH level? Could I really do much harm if I don’t keep track?

2. What are some good ways of getting the most protein into your diet?

3. Why sprout foods? Is it because they are not considered “living” ?

Comments

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Hi Valeria~ In the short term, there isn’t much damage you can do to yourself. The main thing to be conscious about is how you feel. The same issues with raw are those with SAD diets (high fat not good, eating regularly and appropriately, etc.). If you have lots of energy, heal quickly, feel great, skin clear, stable moods, pooping up a storm, etc. you are doing what’s right for your body. Simply listen to your body. There are tons of different “models” out there (eg. 80/10/10 diet, food combining, etc.) where people have “data” that show they “work.” However, the bottomline is what works for you. Also, stressing about the whole thing does more damage to the body then most anything else.

At the beginning you might not feel all that great as you “cleanse”, but that will pass. Look at different threads on this site for people’s experiences.

I’ll leave the specifics to others that are more knowledgable.

Have fun. Explore. Enjoy.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Your body will do everything possible to keep the blood’s PH within a very narrow range. With a SAD diet this means taking calcium from your bones to buffer the acidity. With the raw diet you will be eating much more alkaline and will not be putting your body through as much physiological stress. If you didn’t worry about PH on a SAD diet, there’s less of a need to worry about it now – at least that’s my thought.

Sprouting foods such as nuts removes the enzyme inhibitors which where there to prevent the nut/seed from sprouting during a dry spell. Spouting them simply makes them more digestible. It’s not needed, but recommended. It should be noted that nuts should only be soaked if they are whole. A chipped nut will not sprout and will simply become waterlogged.

As for protein, hemp seed, flax seed, spirulina, and of course dark leafy greens are excellent sources. Try making some green smoothies with hemp protein. Durian contains a high concentration of protein for a fruit. If you can find it for a decent price I’d recommend buying some. It’s a fruit that you either love or hate, but all raw foodists must try.

Definably research as much as you can. If anything, you need to read more to break out of the old patterns of thinking before you can fully embrace raw. At least that was the case with me. Try reading David Wolfe’s book Eating for Beauty, Victoria Butenko’s Green for Life, Natalia Rose’s The Raw Food Detox Diet, Brendan Brazier’s The Thrive Diet, or anything by Gabriel Cousens.

Good luck, welcome to the board, and keep us posted!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

check out the book “The China Study” it addresses the protein issue/myth really well.

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

Excellent information! Thanks Guys!