Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Fighting P.P.D.

Even though I know it’s normal for some women to get PPD after the birth of thier babies it’s very troubling to me that I have it. It’s a month now and I just can’t shake it even worse is that my thoughts and emotions are getting in my way of being a happy, positive, functional new mom. I feel horrible with myself and even have put off trying to be more raw because I’m just so fusterated. I’ve had depression before and never was it anything like this. The only that keeps me up and going is my beautiful Baraan who quietly and peacefully requires my attention most of the day, but when she’s sleeping or eating and my thoughts start to wander I usually end up in tears and feeling misrable. Maybe there’s nothing that I can get here (as far as raw food is concerned) that would help but I’m hoping for some suggestions or advice that would help? I’ve tried to think positively and relax but it’s not helping.. I also don’t really have anyone I can really talk to (despite living with my in-laws) I know it would be good if I did but I’m getting treated like there’s nothing wrong and I’m just being silly, so not helpful. So I’m stuck with just me to help me. Anyone else been here or similar? Any good advice how to kick depression? Thanks K-Mom.

Comments

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I came across some research that links low DHA and a general imbalance of EFA’s with a high risk for PPD.During preg. the AA(arachadonic Acid) and DHA drop probably due to fetal development.In another study there was a significant imbalance of the omega3 to omega6 in all of the women studied by the 3rd trimester.Omega3,ALA, & DHA were low and omega6 hi.DHA was the most depleted fatty acid.It averaged 35% of prepreg. levels.ALA & DHA were even lower after delivery and drops further with each pregnancy. Since lowered DHA seems to be associated with depression, it may be linked with PPD and the hi rates of depression in women as compared to men. The incidence of PPD increases with each birth as DHA continually drops. DHA is also a very important component of breast milk so you are continually putting DHA into your milk if you are nursing. You could check with your doctor about supplementing with DHA and possibly other fatty acids to see if that helps. Also, with regular depression there can be problems with neurotransmitter levels which can usually be boosted naturally with specific amino acids. My prayers are with you and I hope this info is helpful

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

K-Mom, yes, I’ve been there. I too had/have no one to talk to. I feel for you. What helped me was daily walks in the sunshine. It was my son’s pediatrician that noticed and suggested that I go for walks. From this, you get exercise and Vitamin D. Both help beat the blues. :-) Really! I noticed a dramatic difference in days after a walk vs days I didn’t walk. Try it. Since then, I find that green smoothies also help. I’m still transitioning, but the more raw I am, the less depressed I am.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you’re doing. I know I speak for many here, we really are here for you – even if only virtually.

• KurdishMom, hang in there. Many people don’t realize how powerful depression can be. What you’re feeling is real and it’s not your fault. But depression does get better, especially if you can take actions that distract you from your feelings.

Is there any volunteer work that you can get involved in? Even volunteering one day a week can give you an incredible mood lift. It can give you a bigger happiness buzz than any food, and it prevents you from feeling helpless. Schools, clinics, and religious groups often need volunteers. If you need something that you can do from your own home, you could try giving raw cooking classes. You could also form a support group for other new mothers. Just think about what you enjoy doing, and then see if you can do it help others.

• Kurdish Mom – That’s excellent advice about getting exercise (when you can) and nutrition. Having dealt with depression off and on for a number of years, I recommend 3 other things.

1) Really speak honestly with someone about all your worries, fears and anxieties right now, as much as you need to. If you need to do it here, many of us will listen and respond, no matter how wierd you might find your thoughts to be.

2) Force yourself to focus, for some portion of each day, on all that you have to be grateful for. Write it all down to make it more real. Pray or meditate on everything you find or have ever found good and beautiful in life. Blog about the joy you’re finding in your new baby.

3) Perhaps you don’t have the time or energy to volunteer right now, but any energies you can focus on helping someone else (outside of what you’re doing for your own family already) will make you feel better. Something as simple as the cliche of helping an old lady cross the street can really lift your spirits.

Whatever you do, keep reaching out. People on this site, and other sites as well, are willing to listen and encourage you, even if no one in your immediate surroundings is available.

I’ll keep you in my prayers. Good luck with everything!

• Unfortunately it’s really becoming too cold for walks outside especially with a newborn. We’re at a chilly 12C today. We’ve been walking around the house especially when she’s sleepy or when I burp her, but it’s not the same. I’ve been trying to keep up with a journal I started when I was pregnant but lately I can’t seem to find the time to sit and write. It seems that if I’m not caring for Baraan then there’s something or someone else needing my attention and time leaving me no oppertunity to have free time to do anything. I’m even writing now from my mobile phone while I’m burping her. I thought that keeping busy would be a good thing… You know, keeping my mind off most of the things bothering me but it just seems to add to my stress. Sigh.. I guess it’s the test for every new mom to learn to keep everything balanced and not become an emotional wreck. But thanks for the advices and for letting me unload on you all a bit. K-Mom

When you’re in a depressed set of mind, it’s easy to discourage yourself. You’re right, walking around the house is not the same as a brisk walk while pushing a stroller outside. 12’C is 53’F, which is not too cold to walk. If you’re chilly, bundle up!! I was out walking in winter conditions with at 2 weeks after birth with baby. You can do it! And babies love to sleep in the stroller during walks. Sometimes it’s just the thing they need too. Good luck and just do it!!

• Just when I was set to try a walk, we got rain (Baraan).. LOL well I guess we can try again when the weather clears a bit but I’m worried that soon the rain will be snow and I’ll be stuck indoors again.. It’s strange how my nice, cozy bedroom has started looking more like a prison cell.. How did that happen?? I have no idea. Someone suggested “calming foods” and cutting out the spices, but, besides camomille(sp?) I have no idea what would be considered a “calming food”. And I don’t know what kind of effect (if any) the black pepper, cinnamon, cardamon and dill (herb not spice but adding it cause I’ve been consuming more of it lately because I read it helps increase breastmilk) would be having on me and my emotional/mental state.. (big emphasis on the MENTAL!)

Just a question to be flung out there because I’m sure someone may know the answer… I’ve been eating black seeds and I still don’t know the proper amount I should be eating in a day? I can find information for black seed oil but not the seeds themselves.. is there a limit I should know about? and are the fresh seeds more or less potent than the oil? I prefer to have the seeds cause they are raw and unprocessed whereas the oil is anyone’s guess what they do to it before you buy it.

Thanks for the help guys!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

kmom, sorry you are struggleing right now, we are all here for you to vent as needed. blessings and happy thoughts your way! when the weather clears get some fresh air, out doors is always a mood shifter. This may be tough with a new baby, but its a practice ive stuck to as faithfully as possible over the years since ive been on my own…watch the sun rise….it only takes a few minutes and its my favorite time of day!

hi kmom, I just wanted to check in to see how you’re doing. are you hanging in there? thinking of you and baraan and sending positive thoughts :-)

• hi! I’m sorry to hear you are struggling with this, I can imagine how difficult it must be dealing with it while nurturing a newborn. have you looked into sunlamps? I’ve known people who are especially affected by seasonal change and lack of sunlight. By sitting by the lamp for about 30 minutes a day it helps tremendously. I don’t know how you feel about taking supplements but taking about 3000mg of fish oil a day would greatly help as well as it supplies EFA’s essential for brain function, particularly DHA. hope that helps and best of luck to you!

• Hi everyone! It’s been a while but I’m here and feeling better. My depression is almost gone but I’m able to manage it now, well except for an emotional episode a couple of times. The biggest thing that’s still a problem is my self-esteem. I’m totally grateful that my daughter was born healthy and that there was a safe way to have her since labor wasn’t starting on it’s own but I still have some bad feelings about the birth. I feel kind of dumb that I work as a midwife helping women have natural births and here I am having my baby by c-section.. like my body is defective or something. (I know it’s not just how I’m feeling) I also feel totally unattractive now. I feel like a huge walking scar. I can’t imagine how other women can be “close” with their husbands after having a ceserean? I’m feeling very, very cold about the idea of trying to rekindle the romance in my marriage. Not to mention that my little bundle of joy hasn’t gotten the whole “awake during the day, sleep at night” thing down yet so I’m finding myself running on 2-3 hours of sleep some days. I know that it IS possible to have a complete and loving relationship and have children (after all look at all the families with 5+ kids.. how did they do it?) but as of now I don’t think I’m the same me I was before Baraan’s birth.

hkittykitty there aren’t sunlamps available here.. pretty much you get what’s outside. Also I’m pretty sure there’s not fish oil pills here, would just eating fish help?

I’m also SO, SO, SO very grateful for all the support and wishes for me. It’s really uplifting to know that I have support and people I can turn to when things are getting bad. My deepest thanks to you all.

Raw food wishes and filtered water dreams (cough.. cough that was my take-off from “Lifestyles of the rich and famous”.. or is it “lifstyles of the raw and healthy” in this case??)

K-Mom

• KurdishMom, where are you again? would you even have access to vit. d? you can find sunlamps on the internet too if that is an option. I’m glad to hear that you are feeling better though. Keep your head up and know that you are beautiful, even more so with scars. They are the battle wounds of life and yours for an even more amazing reason so try to think of it as a treasure. I’ve always heard people with newborns saying to sleep when the baby sleeps so that you can catch up on it yourself. Hang in there, it all goes so fast!

• Hi again hkittykitty I live in beautiful Soran, Kurdistan, North Iraq. We get sun so getting vitamin D isn’t such a problem however because of reasons I have to schedule my walks for times my husband is home or atleast times when my mom/sister in law can go with me and Baraan. It’s not as easy as it sounds and it’s been getting cold very quickly so I might have to make due with just sitting next to the window until spring. Now that I’m healed and Baraan’s almost 2 months I’m looking forward to working again if I’m needed. Maybe delivering a couple of babies will be just the thing I need to lift my spirit.