Dehydrator temperture not accurate.

TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Hi, I am thinking of getting an Excaliber dehyrator, but after watching my Mom use hers, I’m worried about temperatures. She uses a thermometer in it because she says that if she sets the machine on 125 degrees(for example), the interior thermometer reads only 95. Actually the lower temp is what she wants. I understand this brand is excellant, but I am worried about this inaccurate reading. Does anyone else notice this descrepency in temps? I dont’ want to set the temp too low and find it’s almost cold. I haven’t bought my own yet. Thank you.

Comments

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

There is an article written by a guy who tested a lot of dehydrators and he said that the Excaliber has that problem, not accurate at all. He recommended either always using a thermometer with the Excaliber or buy a more accurate dehydrator by L’Equip. I bought the L’Equip and liked it but didn’t have removable shelves, they were stacking shelves, now trying the Cabela’s commercial one. I tested it and it seems to be within 1 degree so it does well. If I find the article, I will post the link for you. Maybe you can research on google Excaliber and temperature accuracy and see if you find it???

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Alix1962 – your Mom has the dehydrator on too high. Has she tested the food all the way through cooking, ie not just at the beginning, or the end? There is a misconception amongst some raw fooders that, if the Excalibur dial says, eg, 125, that refers to the ambient temperature, and the food itself will only reach 105 F. That is NOT true.

The figure on the Excalibur dial refers to the temperature the FOOD will reach while dehydrating, not its surroundings.

If you turn the dial to 120 or higher, the food itself will reach 120 or higher, and all the research suggests there is a good chance that you are damaging or destroying some of the precious things in your food.

If you turn the dial to 105 or lower, there is a good chance that your food is still

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Thank you, rawmama and debbietook!