How to explain "raw nutrition" to someone

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Hey! I’m new to raw (fell into it as a result of fasting; raw is the only thing that feels right) and someone is asking me nutritional questions about raw…

His questions:

“where do you get your main source of energy from? Where do you get your complex carbs from?”

I just am not sure the proper response.

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Here’s a topic on Complex Carbs but not too informative.

Energy? What do you mean by that? By eating raw foods your body does not have to ‘generate’ the energy to digest it… but rather the foods have the enzymes to digest the food… this leaves your body with the ability to do other work, like repairing and energy production.

But, maybe you mean where do you get your nutrients from? Nutrient-dense foods like germinated nuts/grains/seeds. They can have up to 400% the nutrients when germinated! Sprouts are an abundance of vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, enzymes, protein, and fatty acids. And when you cook food… you lose most, if not all, of those nutrients! So, raw food is definitely more abundant in nutrients… and organic raw food is even more nutrient-rich.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

“Main source of energy”: varies from person to person, in my opinion. Some people need carbohydrates, some protein, some fat. Personally, I get it from carbs. Yours would be for you to figure out.
    “where do you get your complex carbs from?”: you don’t necessarily need them. Simple carbs are easier for your body to recognize and you get plenty of those from fruit. If the sugars in fruit run too fast through your body (hypoglycemia) you should mix them with fat or chlorophyll to slow it down.
    Does this help?

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Well, I suppose you can start by telling him you get your energy from everything you eat! I’ve never felt “weighed down, heavy, or lehargic” from any raw meals that I’ve eaten period! And when he asks about complex carbs, I assume he is thinking about the standard bread, potatoes, and cereal… which then you can explain to him the whole process about sprouted & dehydrated grains/seeds and what not, and that all your other carb requirments are met through fruits and veggies. Hope that helps a bit!